Author Topic: Completed with thanks - Sugar Plantation, Australia- Can this be improved?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Plantation, Australia- Can the tone/contrast be improved?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 December 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 December 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotsquinne,  I think your man is possibly the one standing behind the horse in the
                       coloured photo, he has the same leather type pouch attached to his belt
                       in both photos.

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 December 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Jen, looks to be the chap behind the horse because of the pouch and style of trousers.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 December 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Post deleted...looked terrible :(

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 December 14 00:26 GMT (UK) »
umm... err pardon the question but your picture is reputed to have been taken in 1895 whereas the other picture was taken 1914.

Of course the gent may have worn the same clothes for 20 years  :D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 December 14 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Well it does say "circa"!  :D  I never even cross checked the dates (to be perfectly honest, didn't even see a date,  ::) ) but they look like they were taken around the same time to me.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 December 14 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Just downloaded the archived photo and had a closer look.  Unfortunately, the horse depicted in the photos is not the same one either, the blaze is different.

They are wearing the same style of clothing however....   
 :P

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 December 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes Lady Di, I guestimated my c1895 going by the rough date I knew he emigrated so the coloured photo is probably the correct date.  I noticed the ears of another horse on the other side of the sugar canes on the coloured photo too.  I had noticed the horses were different, just thought the clothing was quite similar, plus the photo he send home was quite large in size, almost 8x6 which made me think it looked more professionaly taken, and when I stumbled across the colour photo online I put 2 + 2 together and probably got 5 ;-)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 December 14 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Of course the coloured photo is a circa date too....  Apparently the coloured photo is in a book 'Views of Bundaberg" by Blaikie, must see if I can source a copy for a wee look to see what else there is.  His Family are still in Bundaberg :-)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)