Author Topic: Jonathan Shortt, Solicitor, died Blackhall Street, Dublin 4th May, 1832  (Read 5669 times)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jonathan Shortt, Solicitor, died Blackhall Street, Dublin 4th May, 1832
« on: Wednesday 24 December 14 05:35 GMT (UK) »
I keep thinking surely there is an obituary for my ancestor Jonathan Short/Shortt  who died in Dublin in 1832 and was a Solicitor.  I know his wife was Anna Maria Antisell but would really like to confirm his children and he had a son John Shortt a Barrister married to Charlotte Owen!  A fresh set of eyes might have an idea.  I'm forever hopefull!
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Shortt, Solicitor, died Blackhall Street, Dublin 4th May, 1832
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 07:35 GMT (UK) »
The Dublin Evening Packet for 6 August 1846 has an announcement of the marriage of a daughter Grace:

Aug. 3. in Parsonstown. the Rev. Robert Wilson, of Clonmel, to Grace, only daughter of the late Jonathan Shortt, of this city, Solicitor, deceased.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Coincidence with names ? Alice Shortt aged 18 died 1846 wife of John Shortt barrister
http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromtheLimerickChronicle/1846/

Offline Raywest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth, Joseph, Thomas Spunner, Charles and William. Children of Jonathan Shortt and Anna Maria were baptised in St Paul’s Dublin. See Church records on Irishgenealogy.ie

THE Friends of the late Jonathan Shortt, who died suddenly on the 4th Instant, have deemed it advisable to enter into subscription, for the benefit his Widow and eight young Children, whom he left totally destitute.
To the Profession with which he was more immediately connected, it is unnecessary to make any statement; he was known to them all, and highly respected, both for his ability and integrity, but to those who were not personally acquainted with him, it is necessary to state that he held a situation in the office of one of the Six Clerks of the Court of Chancery, for upwards of 35 years, during which period, he conducted the business of that office for upwards of twenty-seven years, and had acquired such an Intimate acquaintance with the principles and practice of the Court, that he was looked up to on all occasions for information, with a salary not more than commensurate with the demands of a large family; he was not enabled make a future provision for them.
Subscriptions will be received by the following Gentlemen, viz.: —Doctor Brereton, 19, Arran-quay; Darley, Esq., 31, Leeson-street; Jonathan Harding, Esq- 64, Queen street; William Shortt, Esq., No. 7, Richmond-street; Trustees, who have undertaken to see that the Subscriptions are applied to the object for which they arc intended.
 James Newcomen, Esq., Secretary, Law Society, and at the Bank of J. D. La Touche and Co.,
Saunders’s News-Letter 30 May 1832 and 6th June 1832, 9th June, 17th June

His furniture was sold 8th June; See Saunders’s News-letter 2 June 1832 and his Library on 4th June see Saunders’s Newsletter 4th June.

Called to the Bar:  John Shortt eldest son of the late Jonathan Shortt, late of Blackhall Street in the city of Dublin Gent Attorney deceased FJ 3 Nov 1838.

I note comment that Grace was “only” Daughter in 1846 when she married. Had Elizabeth, Anna and Francis died along with one other to have eight surviving children in 1832?

So Jonathan was never in the military.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you.   I have been sure there must be something somewhere!  .  Thank you so much!
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
I'm still just mulling this over.  Goodness!!

I have John Shortt (the Barrister b 1814) (I am a descendant of)
I know Grace Shortt survived and married Rev Robert J Wilson
William Shortt became a Reverend in New York and moved to Ontario, father of William Allaire Shortt.
Charles Shortt became a teacher lived in Ontario too.
I had Elizabeth b. 1817, Arthur Wellington b. 1816, Joseph b 1819, Thomas Spunner b 1820, Charles b 1822, William b. 1824, Mathew Charles b. 1825, Grace b. 1828, Frances 1828.
I have no idea what became of the other four. 

Would be grateful for any clues.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Dathai

I wonder are these Blackhall Shortts related to your Kilmainham Shortts  ???

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Grace Shortt 1846

Tara