Author Topic: Roman Catholic Hunter family Airdrie Scotland and Newry Co. Down N. Ireland  (Read 5197 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Hunter family Airdrie Scotland and Newry Co. Down N. Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
New members need 2 posts before they can us PM (Personal Message) system so NAPPER71 need one more post  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 August 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Napper7,
If you could kindly have some idea of a birth/death date of your Grandmother Jane Hunter it would help a lot. It does seem to be a coincidence with the names Closh/Hunter. I have branched out quite a bit on my tree to find more information. One of the Jane Hunter's I have was child of James Hunter/ Jane Closh. This James Hunter 1885 was my Great Grandfather's brother. He was born in Newry but lived and died in Airdrie. We still have a lot of info missing, so please reply here and I can share what I know. Kind Regards

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, a few bits......

Deaths:

26 Dec 1891
55 Monaghan St., Armagh
John Hunter
widower
age 63
occ:tinsmith
cause:general debility
informant: James Hunter-son

5 Dec 1886
35 Monaghan St., Armagh
Eliza Hunter
married
age 57
wife of tinsmith
cause:debility
informant: Patrick Hunter- son

Births:

James Hunter
bap: 6 July 1856
place: Lower Killeavy, Armagh
Roman Catholic
father: John Hunter
mother: Eliza Morrison

* 2 siblings to James

John Hunter
bap: 6 May 1848

Patrick Hunter
bap; 27 Nov 1853

brothers to Jane McGuigan:

Peter McGuigan
bap:3 Sept 1845
place: Killyclogher, Tyrone

Patrick McGuigan
bap: 9 May 1847

Patrick McGuigan
bap: 25 March 1849

Jane's parents: Patrick McGuigan & Mary Keenan

Hope this helps, Kim

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Kim,
I also recently found the same Hunter baptisms but I'm still left wondering if they fit with death records. The death records of John and a Eliza are correct. I also found Patrick Hunter death record which says he was born in 1859 and his brother James Hunter's death record states he was born 1856.  I know most times the death records are wrong but these baptisms would mean Patrick was older than James whereas the death records are the other way around. Also the only Catholic marriage I can find for Eliza Morrison and John Hunter is in Antrim and it has a marriage date of 1828 making the couple ten years younger from their death records. I also found other siblings for this couple under various spellings.  I have nothing yet to prove these baptisms are mine and proving difficult without an occupation. I did find a marriage record for an a Edward Hunter 1845 who is highly likely to be a sibling from his catholic marriage details, his father was John Hunter / Tinsmith and his residency was Camlough, lower Kileavy. But I can not find a baptism for him to John/Eliza, he was born abt 1845. So I can prove nothing unfortunately but it is such a high possibility.
Regarding Jane McGuigan, I have the family more or less worked out. Jane was actually baptised Mary and married as Mary in the church but her civil record was Jane. They were all from Newry. I am still though looking for a Peter McGuigan so I will look into these Tyrone records. Thanks again for your assistance and thanks to rootschat I have been able to find and help distant relatives and others researching the same line.
Kind Regards

Offline Michfannon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 24 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi my gran was Mary Ann Hunter who came to Scotland from newry with her brothers and settled in Airdrie one of her brothers married a close and th3 other married a mathews