Author Topic: CROSS in Suffolk  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CROSS in Suffolk
« on: Monday 19 July 04 00:53 BST (UK) »
hi, everyone,
I'm an American with two branches of British ancestry, and I'm stuck on both of them. one is of Woodbridge, Suffolk.
I've been researching my genealogy since 1987, and was doing pretty well on this branch during their Quaker period, but anything before that time is still a mystery.
does anyone know how to trace a non conformist before they were forced to join a church?

Edmond Cross(e)
b. abt 1625 of Woodbridge. d. 14 Aug 1665 in Woodbridge
he married Sarah, b. abt 1627 of Woodbridge, d. 13 Oct 1690 in Woodbridge.
they show up in the parish of St. Mary, Woodbridge, with 4 children, in 1654. there is no prior record for them in that church. I have found no other records for them. I've looked for a will without success-his death may have been unexpected, as he died relatively young leaving several young children. they are not in the settlement records.

I stumbled across a will in Framlingham that may be his parents and siblings, but I cannot prove they are his parents. this is the family group gleaned from that will-I have no dates beyond what I've posted and haven't been able to find anything on the family or much of anything for Framlingham. they are not members of the Church of England in Framlingham;

Edmond Cross
b. around 1600?
d. after 7 Sep 1641 (old calender), Framlingham. Suffolk, England
m.
Anne
b.
d.
children; (order of birth is unknown)

Francis

Margaret

Elizabeth
m.
Samuel Amys

Edmond

researching long distance has proved a bit of a struggle, and I'm sure I'm missing something by not being able to go visit England.
thank you for any suggestions or help in finding Edmond's ancestry. and Sarah's, as well. they are my 8x grandparents.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt