Author Topic: Uk Wills online has anyone ordered any?  (Read 16829 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uk Wills online has anyone ordered any?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 January 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
If using Firefox there is an arrow pointing down to the right of the search box on the toolbar.
If you click on that it shows you what files have been downloaded, if you then right click on the file it will give the option to go to the folder holding the download. When that folder opens the file will be highlighted.

I believe in Internet Explorer it will open the file, this may look like a blank page if there is no text on the part of the page viewed.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I only have a small gripe about this great new service...there are 67 pages of Smiths in 1873 and I'm after Robert  :-\
A Christian name search facility would be a great boon, maybe that's on the cards for a later date  :)

There are 120 pages of "SMI's" in 1967  :o

As mentioned previously, use Ancestry for searching 1858-1966.

Use the HMCTS site 1967 onwards.

There are no plans to improve their page indexing for Grants 1967-1995 for the foreseeable future. The information has been stored as the 1st three letters of the surname at the top left of the page so a search for Smith will also include the names after Smith but where the 1st three letters are still SMI

There are no plans to have a 'go to page' button/facility either although it has been mentioned.

A possible work around is to take the URL at the top of the screen where the first page is found and change the number at the end

eg: Smiths in 1967

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Smith&yearOfDeath=1967&page=1#calendar

change the number just before the hash # (119 takes you to Smithers-Smithson) and you will wizz to that page

Grants after 1996 are fully searchable as the records have been electronically strored since then.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 January 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
A possible work around is to take the URL at the top of the screen where the first page is found and change the number at the end

eg: Smiths in 1967

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Smith&yearOfDeath=1967&page=1#calendar

change the number just before the hash # (119 takes you to Smithers-Smithson) and you will wizz to that page

Ah, hadn't thought about trying that, thanks Dawn, next time I want to look for a common surname, I shall try that one too. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 January 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »
For those who received notices that their order was complete but can't find the download button -

I sent an email last night through the feedback button and received a reply this morning that they are having ongoing technical problems where customers are receiving confirmation of their order being delivered before it is actually ready. They tell me I should expect the documents to show up somewhere between Jan 9 -11.

So it sounds like their turnaround time at this point is 13-15 days (perhaps their service was more popular than expected). If you have waited longer than that you might want to try emailing them.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 January 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I sent a 3rd email this morning, and finally got a reply from a real person, saying much the same thing about technical problems - however, as I received the notice that my order had been delivered on 24 December, it's taking them a long time to sort out!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fridayschild

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a will on December 27th and have received an email today saying my order had been delivered but like other people have found there is no way of seeing or downloading it. I presume once they have sorted out the technical issues they will email me again with a link that takes us to where the will can be downloaded.....fingers crossed!  ::)
Brown...Burnley
Crossdale/Croasdale...Lancashire
Foy....Cornwall,lancashire
Simpson...Ireland,Lincolnshire
Lewis....Burnley,Flint
Hoyle...Burnley.Rossendale
Taylor....Derbyshire,Burnley
Whitehead....Rochdale,Burnley
Barrett....Bacup,County Mayo, Burnley
Barber....Freiston
Hough...Wigan,Burnley
Aldersley...Kelbrook,Nelson,Burnley
Eastwood....Nelson,Burnley
McKenzie...Bury,Burnley
Wildman....Burnley
Greenwood.....Burnley
Rhodes...Blackburn,Burnley
Ashworth...Lumb,Rossendale

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I presume once they have sorted out the technical issues they will email me again with a link that takes us to where the will can be downloaded

Don't.

Yes, that's exactly what happened the time I emailed them

On the 2nd occasion, though, I didn't feel I need to email them as someone on here had already been told there was a technical problem. I looked a couple of days later and there it was.

So I'd guess that if you've emailed them about the problem, then you'll get a notification once it's there. If you haven't, you won't.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline fridayschild

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I have now emailed them and asked them to send me a link to the page so that I can download the will when it is ready
Brown...Burnley
Crossdale/Croasdale...Lancashire
Foy....Cornwall,lancashire
Simpson...Ireland,Lincolnshire
Lewis....Burnley,Flint
Hoyle...Burnley.Rossendale
Taylor....Derbyshire,Burnley
Whitehead....Rochdale,Burnley
Barrett....Bacup,County Mayo, Burnley
Barber....Freiston
Hough...Wigan,Burnley
Aldersley...Kelbrook,Nelson,Burnley
Eastwood....Nelson,Burnley
McKenzie...Bury,Burnley
Wildman....Burnley
Greenwood.....Burnley
Rhodes...Blackburn,Burnley
Ashworth...Lumb,Rossendale

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 January 15 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a will before Christmas and got an e-mail yesterday (Thursday) telling me my order was delivered.  I logged in to their site and on the top right hand corner - next to Basket - there was My Wills.  I clicked on that and downloaded the will without any problems.