Author Topic: Uk Wills online has anyone ordered any?  (Read 16817 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uk Wills online has anyone ordered any?
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 06 June 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
I think you would only get the grant from 1979 not another copy of the will. I would always apply for the earlier entry.

The later grant would have a different probate valuation on it but may not explain why the later grant was required. So unless you require it for legal purposes, the 1941 entry of the grant and will should do for family history purposes.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 07 June 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Dawnsh below  is the original document that I have (well my in-law have it in their possession. It's from the late father's possessions, which is the son of the above in the document. I took the photo of it when I was back home, the paper is very delicate, on verge of ripping ). excuse the wording over it ( I'm fed up of people pinching my photo's without asking for my permission)

The executor in the will was George's son-in-law. He and his wife (one of George's daughters) were living in George's house for a time ( After George's death, I think).

The  money entries in the calendars; the 1941 is the same amount as in the document that I have - 385. The 1979 is 10 thousand (10000).

So this below document that I have is from 1941 and not from 79? ( I know it says 41 on it, but it may have been given out in 79 for some odd reason).
Would there be an actual written Will in 1941 that went with the below document that I have? I've also attached  the two entries from the gov site , it saves people searching for them at the site (mods, please remove the two pictures of the entries if it infringes copyright)

If I order the 1941 entry will I get a written will, to whom George leaves his possessions to?
The 1979 one , will it tell me if anyone has contested the will or would there not be much detail in the document ? ( apparently, the only son of the above was  going to fight the will, family seem to recall that the George left most of it to his daughter, wife of the executor in the will and  the son and the other daughters were angry about it and there was talk of the son fighting it - whether he did or not, they don't know)

I'm not sure what I should do to find out more, or what is this document that I have - Do I order both of the entries, 1941 and 1979, or just order the 1941 one as the  1979 would be a no use to me? I really do not want to unnecessarily spend 20 pounds, when one of the entries at 10 pounds would be enough.
Thank you for any help
Kind regards :)

ps oops edited to add, I saved my  below picture as 1841 instead of 1941 ( I'm so used to typing  18 something instead of 19 something  ;D )

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 07 June 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
The photo seems to show the original grant. If you applied now for a copy of the grant and will from 1941 you would get another copy of this grant and also the will that goes with it. If you order now from HMCTS you must stipulate on the order that you want both the grant & will.

The grant may/could also be a copy issued in 1979 at the time the further grant was extracted. It's going to be hard to tell because I'm no paper expert and I don't know whether the details are written in real ink or is a copy.

If you ordered the 1979 document, you would only get the grant but it would show who the administrator/executor was and their address at that time. Grants generally contain little in the way of genealogical information or explanation.

At one time you could have requested the file for the further grant but I think that service has been withdrawn but it could be worth asking. The probate dept in London at Holborn now only deals with new probate applications for recent deaths not requests for historic copies.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you very much for your help Dawnsh.
I'll just order the 1941 will for now.
Hopefully it will give me a bit more insight to what went on. One of George's  Granddaughters remembers her father and the rest of his sisters being angry over the will, something about fighting the will and the son-in-law (who was executor of the will), whether George's son did fight it we don't know. (all George's children and their spouses are now dead )
Families eh ::)

Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u