Author Topic: Death Certificate  (Read 5491 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »

Is your dog an English Springer Spaniel? We have one x with Australian Cattle Dog.

He is an English Cocker Spaniel (Show type not Working).   He is smaller than a springer and thankfully not quite as active.  Your 'x'  sounds interesting does it look like a Springer.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
John fisher Greaves died 1838 Warwickshire.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caleula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
John fisher Greaves died 1838 Warwickshire.

Jennifer

Thanks so much Jennifer. Looks like John Fisher Greaves didn't live to a ripe old age then. Will check his birth date later. I'm running multiple computers and genealogy programs and will have to reimage one to check further.

Offline caleula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
He is an English Cocker Spaniel (Show type not Working).   He is smaller than a springer and thankfully not quite as active.  Your 'x'  sounds interesting does it look like a Springer.

You're right about the Springers being active. A vet I spoke to told me she was in the UK for 5 years and wouldn't own one. Our 'x' used to pull like a pair of tractors. He's now diabetic, arthritic, has glaucoma, had a couple of minor strokes and his front nails need clipping badly - I've done it once before using blunt side cutters. He won't let me now. He's 15 years old and still has quality of life. Tried to post a picture, but the server wouldn't let me. Nothing like our Border Collie, father a show dog and mother a working dog.

Offline caleula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a lot of help from two absolute angels in Kenilworth, UK, and also Rodd Neep of CD Archive Books fame, before he retired, when he gave me details about three baptisms in Nottingham from his personal database of 90,000 entries. However, the Maiden Names weren't recorded way back then unfortunately. An LDS librarian in Utah also assisted me greatly.

We have Samuel Fisher Greaves' Indenture of Apprenticeship into the Drapery Trade dated around 1770, Boxing Day actually, a Testimonial Family Bible with 2" high brass initials of his son and similar Testimonial binoculars. Caroline, the widow, was the Ship's Matron [read girl's teacher] on the good ship "Kate" which docked on 18th November, 1854 and she wrote a testimonial letter to the captain, incidentally spelt Grieves, a variation of our surname. Most of the signatures are on that letter too.

Best part recently was finding out in Trove that about 155 years ago, Caroline was teaching at North Sydney, NSW, within a mile of where I lived for 37 years. One of her daughters died there. Caroline and her other daughter share a grave in Yass, NSW. In 1855, Caroline started her very own "Academy for Young Ladies" at Raymond Terrace, NSW, within a year of disembarking the "Kate".

Much checking and it appears that by 1858, she had sold off her Academy and was teaching at a schoolhouse in the corner of the grounds of St Thomas' North Sydney, NSW. There were only male teachers for the private girls schools back then, but a few pointers from the historians at the private schools helped. One historian rather quaintly stated that the school at St Thomas' 'morphed' into Wenona Girls School. I applied to have the centralised Diocesan records checked, however, a Royal Commission has taken precedence over personal record checking for now :(y

Finally managed to attach a pic of the early ancestors. Only just started using My Family Tree to replace PAF5, so not too much detail yet. Also used to have PhpGedView on my website, but unfortunately no more. My ISP doesn't support MySQL.

The top three rows are those supplied by Rod Neep, but with no Maiden Names
recorded back then.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 00:31 GMT (UK) »
John fisher Greaves bapt. St.Mary Nottingham 10th January 1813

Robert Fisher Greaves bapt Arnold Nottingham 13th July 1823

Both parents John  and Margaret.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caleula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those dates Jennifer :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Lets assume Samuel Fisher Greaves was 10 years old in 1770 for an apprenticeship which would mean he was born about 1760 ish or before

thus

Born 1760

Baptised 1808 = He would be aged 48 unusual but possible

Married 1838 = He would aged 78----------------- and have siblings ---?

Died 1853      = He would be aged 93 not an un-normal age to die

You say

We have Samuel Fisher Greaves' Indenture of Apprenticeship into the Drapery Trade dated around 1770,

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Caleua: Is this your information? If it is not then it might help you as a guide

http://www.gravesfa.org/gen592.htm

Of course with a family this far back you would have to look through very old books to get physical evidence and proof is seeing it yourself (I have the same problem with my ancient Wemyss family :) )
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)