Author Topic: Patersons of Lanarkshire  (Read 14308 times)

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patersons of Lanarkshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou...re Borstal, my son came across a list of inmates of Borstal, during his research, and there was a John Lachlan there, but we discovered during our research, that there were quite a few John Lahclans. I don't really know what to think anymore, as the only firm piece of evidence we have of him, is his naval record, which shows he was born on 4/8/1893, and shows that he had deserted, which is the only thing the family knew about him, there could not possibly be 2 people with the same name, deserting the ship. I may look up the info you have given me, and thankyou so much for your help...

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi elainemar, ammack,

Still looking but not much joy so far.

On FreeBMD, I have found a marriage of a Lachlan J Mackay to a Irene K Harris on Medway in the quarter Dec 1914, the ref is 2a 1638. Chatham is in the Medway district. Could this be yours?

I notice that there may have been a further marriage to Elizabeth Boyle in 1925, have you got the MC for this, what name did he use for that?

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have found a MC for a John Paterson to an Elizabeth Ann Boyle in Calton in 1925, this can be downloaded for 6 credits in total if you do not have it already. Need to confirm parents names on the certificate.

If he is John Lachlan Mackay in Navy, who did he give as parents?

It is very difficult to pin someone down who uses different names, my wife's maternal grandfather used 2 or 3 names, family history says because he was too young to get in Army. He wasn't too young. We think he had married with different name, but we are unable to prove because he moved about Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic as well. He just doesn't want to be found. People who should know all passed on. Hopefully you will get some answers, but very hard to confirm records when you are not aware of what name he used.

Tom

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...the marriage is correct. There were only ever 3 things that we had to go on. Firstly, my grandparents marriage certificate(which is what you found) and on that he states his father as Hector, big question mark there) on that he states his age as 21. Secondly, we had a photo of a group of seamen, with a cross mark above one of them, which is supposed to be my grandfather, then from that, we could see he served on the Prince of Wales in the Royal Navy, so that then led me to contacting the M.O.D, who sent me a few details of a John Mackay, but it was the last one that proved it was him, because it showed he had jumped ship in 1918, which is what the family knew about him. At the time of my grandfathers desertion, my father was only 4 months old, so he never knew his father, so then he was unable to tell me anything other than the knowledge of my grandfathers desertion.
If the John Paterson is really him, we deduced that he had gone back to the original birth surname, due to his desertion, and yes, this one married Elizabeth Boyle in 1925. John,s mothers maiden name was Mackay, which she reverted to after she and Alan had divorced, because he went on to marry someone else. We seem to think my grandfather chose to use his mothers name when he married Irene, my grandmother. Its a heck of an entanglement, is,nt it..........regards Mary Elaine

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
To Tom......thankyou, John Patersons parents names, were Alan and Margaret  On my grandparents marriage certificate, its only the fathers name that is on there, which he named as Hector......another spoke in the wheel....lol....seems to be a some untruths somewhere.....

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
birth date 4/8/1893
There were NO births with ANY surname for a John Lachlan in that year (1893) ANYWHERE in Scotland

Equally........there were NO births ANYWHERE in Scotland in 1893 for a John Lauchlan/Laughlan (with a "u") Pat(t)erson or M(a)cKay  ???

Back to the drawing board  ::)  ;D

I think I will search for him with a middle name "ELUSIVE"  :P  ;D

Annie 
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou...strange that, as what led us on to the Paterson name, was the Lanarkshire research, who sent me 5 names that had possibilities, we clicked on 2 that seemed right, and the one of those two had the exact birthdate as my grandfather, except it had the surname Paterson, so you can see what has led us this way so far. I hope ive still got that email, I will have a look after....and thankyou for all your efforts, as im on the brink of giving up.....

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie....found that email...there were a few names on it, but the one that seemed to match, as what the researcher said, was........Lachlan Paterson Govan 1893........646/02....1066.......

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi elainemar,

Take away the Lanarkshire researchers findings, do you have any reason to believe that you are related to Patersons?

I think you need to go back to what you are definite about, certificates and any other proof. It feels like we have been chasing the wild goose.

Tom