Author Topic: Patersons of Lanarkshire  (Read 14306 times)

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patersons of Lanarkshire
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,,,,,I feel very much like yourself, last year we were led along another path by a lady from Australia, the time and money spent on that, was vast, in the end, no relation at all. The only reason for the Paterson stuff, was what the Lanarkshire researcher gave us. The only 2 documents we have, is the marriage certificate, and we have exhausted all areas of that, and the naval record, that we cant get any further info from...so basically...we are stuck...think its now time to give up, particularly as we have been led astray a few times.....I feel sad about this, as all these years we have been searching, have not got us anywhere, and by the way, because of that lady in Australia, I paid a researcher £87...only for him to give us the wrong info......thankyou for what you have done anyway, I very much appreciate it...........still feel so sad  :'(

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou...strange that, as what led us on to the Paterson name, was the Lanarkshire research, who sent me 5 names that had possibilities, we clicked on 2 that seemed right, and the one of those two had the exact birthdate as my grandfather, except it had the surname Paterson, so you can see what has led us this way so far. I hope ive still got that email, I will have a look after....and thankyou for all your efforts, as im on the brink of giving up.....

NOTHING STRANGE.............You told us his name was JOHN regardless of middle names which is irrelevant.
I also mentioned he may have gone by the name Lachlan in one of my posts yet you didn't mention ANYTHING ??? ???
We CANNOT search for John as a forename & come up with LACHLAN...........which is what you have here: "Lachlan Paterson Govan 1893........646/02....1066......."

I am spending £'s on searching but you have not given us ALL the details you have??? ???

Sorry but I don't like being made a fool of i.e. sent on a "wild goose chase".

I don't mind spending £'s on credits within reason as genealogy is my pastime so it's a cheap day for me if I can get someone out of a "hole" or through a "brick wall" for £2 but please appreciate that you are saying one thing but the truth is another & you didn't provide your "evidence" to help my researching  :(

In future can you Please post ALL known info. to help other's to help YOU

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou...strange that,

as what led us on to the Paterson name, was the Lanarkshire research, who sent me 5 names

one of those two had the exact birthdate as my grandfather, except it had the surname Paterson, so you can see what has led us this way so far.

No......not until NOW!!!

If I knew he was down as Lachlan I would have searched for a death with the name LACHLAN........not JOHN  ??? ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie....I understand your anger, but I think I did say that the info that the researcher gave me, stated John Lachlan Paterson? im sorry if I didn't make anything clear enough, that wasn't deliberate I can assure you. I asked for info on Paterson in the beginning, because of what the researcher gave me, we felt he may be right, as Johns mothers maiden name was Mackay.....so again it seems we,ve been given wrong information, we had believed it, because we so wanted it to be true I guess. I will gladly refund you any money that you have spent, if you let me know how I can do that.......

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
and I did not set out to make a fool of anyone.....my posts and queries were completely genuine....

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou so very much...im sorry but I didn't give you Johns full Christian names...he is John Lachlan, and his fathers fathers name was also Lachlan

Which is NOT Lachlan John & searches are with "a" forename

£ is not the issue..............you did not supply the info. you had & you asked for JOHN......NOT LACHLAN even after I said he could be Lachlan?

The time is more of the issue as I have been searching for something you knew was wrong...............so why ask when you know it's wrong?

YOU asked for JOHN....the researcher told you LACHLAN!!!

I think you need to read over the whole thread an admit you have been deviating from your original query.

We are only as good as the info. we have to work with so RED HERRINGS won't NET results  ::)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Elaine,

I was annoyed because you made out you only had basic info. when infact you had so much more which would have been so much easier for me to work with.
Whenever I came up with a thought you were able to counteract it with other info. you already had but didn't share.
My point is...............I would not be looking for info. you already know/have but merely try to elaborate/expand on what you have which you didn't divulge until you knew I had the wrong info?

Deaths on SP:

This would need to be ordered but given his age 78 he was born 1915 ???

PATERSON

JOHN LACHLAN Not Permissible

M 79 GRANTOWN ON SPEY/MORAY

283/00 0018

----------------------
Given his age 75 he would have been born 1923 ???

COLLINS JOHN LACHLAN Not Permissible                                                                     (I have the birth for that John Lachlan MacKay & his mum's maiden name was Collins) He was actually born 1885!!!

M 75 EAST KILBRIDE/SOUTH LANARKSHIRE 575/00 0108
-------------------------------

It seems to me the Lachlan born 1893 is the correct person but again..........you gave us him as John born 1893 ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage of a Lachlan J Mackay to a Irene K Harris

If that marriage is the correct man.......they seem to have had a daughter (McKay) 1916 ?

Inferred County: Kent
Volume Number: 2a Page Number: 1472

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The family 1901 - 151 Blackburn St, Govan, Lanark

Allan Paterson 31
Margaret Paterson 34
Sarah Paterson 15
Roderick Paterson 11
Lachlan Paterson 6
Flora Paterson 4
Mary Paterson 4