Author Topic: Patersons of Lanarkshire  (Read 14324 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Patersons of Lanarkshire
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Marriage

PATERSON ALLAN

MACKAY MARION

BERNERA/INVERNESS

111/03 0003
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thanks....the Paterson list is right. I just brought out all the stuff ive got here, and on my grandfathers naval record, and also my grandparents marriage certificate, and on that he is stated as Lachlan John Mackay...on the naval record, he is down as Lachlan Jack Mackay, he was called Jack by my grandmother, im told John in Scotland is also referred to as Jack....but as you previously said, its better that we stick to the original info that we have here, and forget the Patersons. I also just found something that I had forgotten about. Many years ago, whilst I was researching my grandfather, the Scottish Ancestry people did a search for me, and they could not find a Lachlan John Mackay born on 4/8/93.....so he is a real enigma...maybe I will never find the truth about him....and maybe its time I gave up on all this too..........

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Elaine,

I'm not being funny or awkward but we need to start at the beginning as this is too contorted so far ??? ???

Do you have the marriage cert for your grandparents (this John/Lachlan)..............if so can you post the details please with the yr/place of marriage, name he gave for himself ??? ???, witnesses & who he has as his father etc?

We can sort out the if's/but's as we stumble upon them as the deviations so far are just a total confusion ???

Thanks,

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Elaine I missed your previous post.

How/where did the name Paterson become relevant in this?

Only trying to help as genealogy is based on FACTS.........not Presumption  ;D

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I should also have mentioned that you could write to the MOD. 

What names did he give as his parents & their address ???

What was his address at the time.........was he living with his parents ???

You may think I'm nit-picking but genealogy is like forensics & every piece of evidence is crucial in researching.

I love a challenge & this is definitely one  ;D

Annie

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thanks...I was in the middle of giving you a load of information, when my pc decided to install updates, and so my post was lost...I start again.....my grandparents marriage certificate...ok...date of marriage, 7/11/14, Chatham Kent. My grandfather, Lachlan John Mackay age 21, able seaman RN, his father, Hector, property owner, nothing else. mY GRANDMOTHER, Irene Kate Harris, father Richard James Harris, plumber. Witnesses, Frederick and Amy, or Annie, Seager. My grandparents were living at 2 Mount Road Borstal Rochester. My son did try to get information from that, but he was unsuccessful. I have tried on more than one occasion, to obtain further information from the M.0.D, but they say there isn't anymore.
My grandmother had 2 daughters before my father, we only found that out last year. The first daughter was Greta, born in 1914, my son thinks she was stillborn, the second daughter, born in 1916, Irene, also did not live long after birth. My grandmother went back to her parents in Wales, with the only child, my father, after my grandfather deserted.

The Patersons, well, because they had a son, Lachlan, with same birthdate as my grandfather, and because his mothers maiden name was Macky, we assumed my grandfather used that at the time of his marriage, for whatever reason. We think there has been some untruths made by my grandfather, which is why we cannot get to the actual truth. Also we wonder how my grandparents met, as he was from Scotland, and my grandmother from Wales? it really is an enigma Annie, and ive been on this trail for 30 years!..I do realise, that my brain is not functioning so well and so fast, as it was 30 years ago, so thats why maybe ive not given my information as I should have, sorry......im mentally tired now, so I will say thankyou and goodnight.....

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, Lachlan John Mackay age 21, able seaman RN, his father, Hector, property owner,

Sorry..............what was Hector's SURNAME please?

Annie

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 January 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...sorry....Hectors surname is Mackay.....and you just cant imagine how many Hectors we,ve looked up!!  As my grandfather was from Scotland, and my grandmother from Wales, my son suggested there may have been a Mackay family in Cardiff, so he followed that trail for some time, with no luck, that's when this lady from Australia got in touch, and finally led us on the wrong path!!!..........

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 08 January 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »

Was his father Hector recorded as living or deceased?

Have you traced Lachlan John on any census records with his father Hector?