Author Topic: Illegitimate children & the 1911 census  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate children & the 1911 census
« on: Wednesday 31 December 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Despite my family being peppered with illegitimacy I've found that most have been honest in the 1911 census and noted the correct number of births, even where those children were brought up by someone else.

I've now come across my first where only the legitimate children have been noted, even though at the time of the census this particular ancestor was a widow so didn't particularly need to hide anything from her husband.

This got me wondering about what other people had found - were most of your ancestors honest, or did they mainly lie?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate children & the 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I have two census returns where as a 1 year old....then 11 year old...a little girl is listed as the Daughter of the head of household...the next census at age 21 she is listed as their Granddaughter.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Not a case of illegitimacy, but my grandmother and her brother were both listed as living with their birth parents in 1911, when both had been taken into care 9 years previous. My grandmother was also listed with her foster parents and her brother was in Canada, so not an accurate census, but I guess at least it shows they were not forgotten.
Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I have the same as Carol, but not in 1911.  Two children listed as son/daughter, then changed to grandchildren, but then both are impossible to find in 1901.  :(

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but in 1911 doesn't it ask you to list "children born to the marriage" so any offshoots (as it were!) of either parent shouldn't be included anyway? 

Will check that out next time I look at a 1911  8)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but in 1911 doesn't it ask you to list "children born to the marriage" so any offshoots (as it were!) of either parent shouldn't be included anyway? 

Will check that out next time I look at a 1911  8)

Oh yes, Ive just checked and you're right.  Potentially puts a whole new slant to some of the 'truthful' answers then....
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
That's probably why the truth had to be told because of the questions asked in 1911...or just that the young woman had been told who her real Mother was.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a lady whose first child was just born in wedlock, sadly he died.  By the time 1911 rolls around she claims to have had 10 children all living...poor little Charlie seems to have been forgotton about  :'(

Another family list their son and claim he has "been widowed for 2 years" (they actually wrote that down under occupation)  He is in fact still very much married and living around the corner from his parents in a lodging house :-\  His wife whom he married two years earlier is "single" and living with her parents. 

Another couple claim to have been married for 11 years with a son aged 10, I've never traced the marriage and I cannot pin down a birth registration for this child.  The couple are both  conveniently missing in 1901; they did however have a long and happy life together  :D

Suey

Those are the only ones so far, for the most part, as far as I can tell, the rest told the truth
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a pair like that - according to the 1911 census they married in 1955, and by numbers of children seem to include her eldest (who I think was registered without a father under her maiden name - unfortunately that maiden name is Jones so I can't be 100% I have the right one but 99% sure) - no details of marriage registered the other children all registered with them as married.  They died aged 98 and 100 still together