Author Topic: Haines family lived in Ballarat from c1865 to the present day looking for burial  (Read 15423 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Haines family lived in Ballarat from c1865 to the present day looking for burial
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be a brother of George HAINES who died in 1908.

Death
HAINES Henry
Father George Mother Fanny HURST
At Ballarat Hospital 64 years 1887  Reg#8984

Buried at Ballarat Cemetery
HAINES Henry     28/07/1887   Wesleyan C  Section a Grave#19

This is very interesting. The last ref I have of this man is on the 1841 C living with parents George & Frances E (nee Hurst) as an 18 year old at Billingham House, Sussex. There was a possible m to  an Ann Smith 25/12/1841 in Arundel and they had 4 children. After that they disappear. Perhaps they followed His brother George. I only have a mention that he d as a single man in Australia  - no date

Jane

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Haines family lived in Ballarat from c1865 to the present day looking for burial
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:55 GMT (UK) »
You would need to purchase an image of the certificate to find if Henry was married and if so, the name of his wife should be noted along with all issue both living and deceased at the time of Henry's death.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I also contacted Wonthaggi Inc who told me there were members of the HAINES family there ie Christopher William (above) et al but I have received no info despite spending 6 moths waiting. I gave up in frustration. I was hoping to actually contact a member of the current family

http://wonthaggigenealogy.org.au/
We are a completely not-for-profit Community group formed in 1996   
Our aim is to promote research in Family History and to record and preserve records which relate to Bass Coast and South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
All our staff are volunteers and this site is designed and maintained by volunteers
We provide free Training and Presentations to our members
Research Queries can be obtained at a very reasonable rate

Just as it is the policy of rootschat not to search or post information about living people, it is not the role of genealogy groups to seek out information about living people or living families of recently deceased persons.   
Did you seek and obtain a quote for research about deceased persons? Many groups have a minimum fee for initial research. 

Cheers :)
Cando

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

the information you have been given is just what is on the index.  Australian BMD certificates are very informative and those from Victoria particularly good.

This link gives a guide to the information that is asked for when registering a B M or D in Victoria.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Of course it depends on the knowledge/truthfulness of the informant/s as to the accuracy of what is recorded. Usually marriage certificates have the best information as it is supplied by the couple themselves.  Death certificates can be a bit hit and miss as the informant may not know information re the early life of the deceased, however they are very much more informative than English ones where there is no requirement to show any family relationships.  My 9 GBP has often seemed a waste of money!!

Historical images of Victorian registrations can be downloaded for $AU20.  As it is an actual image it can be very useful in comparing signatures etc. 

You need the reg no which has been supplied in the information above.
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/family+history+certificates/

FAQs here
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/family+history+faqs/

Judith

Thank you Judith for this information, it is most useful

I have bought many English Certs in the past and 1 very good Scottish M Cert (where both parents of bride and groom are recorded - why didn't England do this. I agree English D certs are almost a waste of money

Is this transcription of Carman/Hewstone M a download at $AU20 or is this an actual M Cert (as one might obtain in England? costing $AU21? Is the amount of info on a download the same as on a Cert?

I will buy a Cert of one of the Haines marriages and see how I get on

Thanks, Jane

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Kate Elizabeth Haines (?)
Emigrated to Australia during 1860s
Portsea, Isle of Wight, Hants (1859 - ?)
m?
Philip Ofas (?)
?
(? - ?)
(son of ?
(6 children)

Portsea is not on the Isle of Wight. 
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HAM/Portsea/

Kate was born at Ryde on Isle of Wight according to the 1861 Census.
Births Dec 1859
HAINES Kate Elizabeth  I.Wight  2b/494

Kate HAINES/HAINS who married Philip Harris OPAS not OFAS is not your Kate Elizabeth HAINES.  Kate was the dau of Joseph HAINS and Julia DELEVANTE.  She is buried with other members of the OPAS family in the Jewish Section of the Brighton cemetery.   She was born 1854 in London, Middlesex.

Births Jun 1854 
HAINS Catherine    Whitechapel 1c/347

Marriage
HAINES Kate  Born London
OPAS Philip   Born Poland   later records show his names to he Philip Harris
1881  Reg# 2786

Death
OPAS Kate
Father Joseph HAINS and Julia DEVELANTE
At Balaclava  1940 85 years    Reg#11489

And marriage of her parents
Marriages Jun 1853
HAINS Joseph St Luke  1b/744
DELEVANTEJulia   St Luke 1b/   744

Her father's death in South Australia.   

The South Australian Register  1893
HAINS.— On the 8th February, suddenly, at his residence, Dale-street, Port Adelaide, Joseph Hains. sen., aged 67, beloved father of Mrs. Alfred Myers, Adelaide, and Mrs. P. Opas and Mrs. L. Cober, Melbourne. Sydney and Melbourne papers please copy.

Cando

The marriage information for Kate Elizabeth HAINES was given to me by her still living cousin (living in Australia) together with their 5 children Julia, Joseph, Hannah, Rebecca, Miriam and Minnie, plus gchildren (children of Joseph) Philip Hening? b 1917 and Amelia Frances b 1919. From your research, all these are unrelated to our Kate? 

Is it possible to find out what happened to our Kate?

Jane

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Cando

I am surprised that you have taken such an interest in George's second wife as they didn't have any children, therefore no descendants.

I wasn't aware I had taken a lot of interest in George's second wife. You gave me some information about her and I was able to complete my findings. I like to tie up all the loose ends as I have tried to do throughout The Tree. Those on our tree are not just dates, they are also people with a life. Susannah was part of George's life :)

Jane

Jane

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 15 January 15 04:54 GMT (UK) »
The marriage information for Kate Elizabeth HAINES was given to me by her still living cousin (living in Australia) together with their 5 children Julia, Joseph, Hannah, Rebecca, Miriam and Minnie, plus gchildren (children of Joseph) Philip Hening? b 1917 and Amelia Frances b 1919. From your research, all these are unrelated to our Kate?

Is it possible to find out what happened to our Kate?

Jane

Deaths Sep 1861
HAINES Kate Elizabeth   Wandsworth  1d/274

Your living cousin in Australia doesn't appear to have purchased any certificates to validate her research.  It would appear that Kate Elizabeth died before the family emigrated to Australia.  You would need the certificate to validate that though.

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 15 January 15 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Victorian BMDs have 2 types of historical record for purchase.

Uncertified Image.  This is an image of the actual record as held by the Victorian Department.  It is immediately ready for download (as soon as you have paid by credit card) and usually includes a whole page so that you can see other people's records as well.

Historical Certificate which contains the same information as an uncertified image, as well as the Registrar's certification, signature and seal. It is posted to you and is dearer.
See more at: http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/family+history+certificates/#sthash.ijs2dmHK.dpuf

You cannot use the uncertified image for legal purposes, however for family history it is excellent and it's all you would need. Sometimes, if you have two Bs or Ms or Ds in the same area at about the same time you will be lucky and the images for both will be on the page with the one you have ordered.  For example weddings of siblings on the same day or deaths of a mother and child at about the same time etc.  (Hope that makes sense)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 15 January 15 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Birth
MORGAN Samuel John
Father Samuel John  Mother Ellen Perry MILLARD
At Melbourne  1856  Reg#3731

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4807433
The Argus  30 Apr1855
MARRIED.
On the 25th inst., at St. Paul's Church, by the Rev. S. L. Chase, Samuel John Morgan, of Elizabeth-street, Melbourne, to Ellen Perry Millard, eldest daughter of John Perry Millard, Esq., of Bath, Somerset.

And his parents’ marriage
MORGAN Samuel John
MILLARD Ellen Perry
1855  Reg#1236

Six of Samuel’s siblings were born at Ballarat.

Marriage
MORGAN Samuel John  Born Melbourne
HAINES Lucy Gough    Born Isle of Wight
1880  Reg#4309

Births
MORGAN Catherine Ellen
Father Samuel John  Mother Lucy Gough HAINES
At Ballarat  1881  Reg#21066

MORGAN Lucy Ethel
At Ballarat  1883  Reg#6728

MORGAN Amy Rebecca
Father Samuel John  Mother Lucy HAINES
At Ballarat  1885  Reg#23108

MORGAN Sylvia Irene
At Ballarat  1888  Reg#26458

MORGAN Samuel John
Father Samuel John  Mother Lucy HAINES
At Ballarat  1891  Reg#8763

Photo of Samuel John uniform prior to his death in WW1
http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/206982686

1897/C7841
MORGAN Queenie Alice Lillian
Father Samuel John  Mother Lucy Gough Haines

You can now search the Queensland bdm's yourself for further events
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

From his obituary

Mr. Morgan was married in 1880 at Walhalla, Gippsland, to Miss Lucy Gough Haines. Mrs Morgan died just five years ago. The only son of the union, Captain S. J. Morgan, 26th Battalion, was killed in action in the Great War. The late Mr. Morgan is survived by four daughters, Mesdames J. H. Orrell (Kangaroo Pt, Brisbane), S. K. Davis (Perth), W. Frost (Pittsworth). and S. Aspinall (New Farm). There are seven grand children.

Obituary – Samuel John MORGAN born Ballarat 1855
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article114186087

Samuel died intestate and sons-in-law are named as trustees.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article114183661

Tribute to Mr Samuel John MORGAN, respected Engineering Union Officer
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article114178449

Cecil LOWTHER wrote in the Maryborough Chronicle under the name of "Bannerman".  A Tribute to Samuel MORGAN including a poem.  Cecil was a 1st cousin three times removed on my paternal grandmother's side. 
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article151182133

Cando