Author Topic: John McGovern 33rd foot 1850s  (Read 3967 times)

Offline fionadeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McGovern 33rd foot 1850s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone with access to the medal index cards could check something for me please? My grandfather, John McGovern, son of John whom we have previously discussed was also in the West Riding regt. no 3203.
However, he later moved to Royal Munster Fusiliers no. 31 and was wounded at Gallipoli in 1915. He received a Balkans medal for this. It is his rank on the medal card which I am interested in. It looks like Bd Mjr. Is this Band Major or what? His son, another John McGovern, (my grandfather)was in the army band all his life but I never heard that my great-grandfather was involved with the band.
Would appreciate any clarification on this. Also, what do all the annotations on the medal card stand for? I have failed to figure out the word underneath "Action Taken" - looks like Loxgan?

Thanks, Fiona

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

No its CS for Company Sergeant Major

And Loxgan = LS & GC M = Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, then AO (Army Order) 44 (of 19)17 as 4428 Royal Irish Regiment.

To Class Z (Reserve). Men were sent home but had to be prepared to return if fighting started again after 11th November 1918.

In blue is WO Cl II for Warrant Officer Class II

btw...there no was Balkan medal. That is his qualification data for the 1914-15 Star

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Ken

Offline fionadeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a million, Ken - great to have someone who 'speaks the lingo' !

Offline Fishknox

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona, I realise this post is quite old but I was doing some research on j McGovern who is my great grandfather, and who’s military number is also 3867.  I am the grand daughter of Francis Joseph Mcgovern your grandfathers younger brother. Just thought I would say hello.  I’m in Melbourne Australia. 

Offline fionadeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Fishknox, delighted to hear from you. Sorry - I have only just seen your message now. I had stopped researching the family for the past few years. Let me know if you see this