Author Topic: William Mackay George COMPLETED  (Read 6200 times)

Offline sgeorge74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mackay George COMPLETED
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:01 GMT (UK) »
This is the link I originally found for their marriage https://www.findmypast.com.au/transcript?id=ANZ%2FBMD%2FVICTRIAMARIAG%2F3910721 "Mary Campbel" stated but clearly her own writing suggests a misspelling online. Rgds, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 January 24 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Some  more detail:

Margaret Campbell Burgess was born in 1836 in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire. Her parents were Adam Burgess, a clock/watchmaker and Elizabeth Payne. The family moved to Liverpool in the early 1850s.  She  emigrated to Australia (arrived Melbourne) in 1858/9 and  married William on 2 March 1864 in Geelong* She travelled back to UK to visit family in Jan 1897 - Melbourne, Victoria to London on the Orient.

Margaret died  while visiting her cousin in Whithorn, Wigtonshire.  Cause of death was  haemorrhage from an existing stomach ulcer. She was buried in Toxteth Part cemetery , Liverpool and is recorded as dying in Whithorn. I assume her body was buried  there because of her family connection.

* moving to New Zealand after the marriage.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 January 24 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked my tree and found that her father was buried in Toxteth Park cemetery  in 1871.

Also attached part of her death cert.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 January 24 23:45 GMT (UK) »
You link is just a transcription with an obvious error.   

If you read through this thread, you will see that I obtained the copy of the original and have put up a clip of this twice.

Offline sgeorge74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 January 24 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Updated Margaret Campbell Burgess George memorial/photo on Find a Grave. Thought you'd be interested.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/174366070/margaret-campbell-george

Rgds, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 January 24 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Thank you. I have that (2021). The account on FindaGrave is more or less the same as mine  :-X

See

Some  more detail:

Margaret Campbell Burgess was born in 1836 in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire. Her parents were Adam Burgess, a clock/watchmaker and Elizabeth Payne. The family moved to Liverpool in the early 1850s.  She  emigrated to Australia (arrived Melbourne) in 1858/9 and  married William on 2 March 1864 in Geelong* She travelled back to UK to visit family in Jan 1897 - Melbourne, Victoria to London on the Orient.

Margaret died  while visiting her cousin in Whithorn, Wigtonshire.  Cause of death was  haemorrhage from an existing stomach ulcer. She was buried in Toxteth Part cemetery , Liverpool and is recorded as dying in Whithorn. I assume her body was buried  there because of her family connection.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 January 24 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Scott - it would have been polite to ask me if you could copy exactly what I wrote.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 January 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Scott

This is the family grave in Kells

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/240561271/john-burgess

Margaret's grandparents were Thomas Burgess (d. 1813) and Agnes 'Dunchee/Duncie.

I do have extensive details on this family. Dates on stone are inaccurate re ages as it was erected after George Carson's death.

I think it might be best to start a new thread if you have any more George family queries.

Offline sgeorge74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 January 24 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Scott - it would have been polite to ask me if you could copy exactly what I wrote.

I apologize, I had no intention to offend. I thought you being a subject matter expert used your historical data best to represent Margaret.

Again, my apologies.