Author Topic: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassington  (Read 12101 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassington
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The info re Haywood and the farm fits. There is a Charles Haywood in 1901 at Clay Lane, Norton Disney. The address of River Farm House was Clay Lane, I think.

It could be that the child's mother was married. Was the child adopted?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thinking back to the thread by Davetaxi the other week with a wartime birth In Dave's case he thought it was a girl and eventually we found it was a boy. There is a female birth in Lincoln for Graves MMN Graves in 1944
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 January 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I can put this one as this girl died very young, the death was recorded in the qtr. before the birth was registered suggesting less than 6 weeks old at death.

Christine M Graves

Date of Registration:
Dec 1943

Age at Death:

Registration district:
Lincoln

Volume:
7a

Page:
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fedagent

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassingham
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 January 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »
chempat,  since you couldn't find a Graves in the telephone directories in ancestry for Bassingham around the war years, could it be under Greaves?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 January 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I have looked under Greaves, Greives, Grieves. 
No.

But a search on ancestry for1945 +/- 5 years, living in Bassingham only gives 20 hits.  There are numbers for the Bassingham exchange for at least 69 people, so some mis-match somewhere.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 January 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »
In rural Herefordshire exchanges covered villages at least ten miles away, I know where my aunt lived and I know where the exchange was.

Mike

Offline fedagent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassingham
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 January 15 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses. If I could get a hold of directories, it would give me a way to narrow the search by a process of elimination. Not sure what is available on-line. Thanks much.

Offline Giuseppe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
My grandad was a Italian  prisoner
Who work on farm round that way
He brought a photo home when he went back to Italy told my nan this was his son I have a copy of photo I only found this out 3 years a go and have been looking from then.from what my mum told me  uncle name is Jack
I only live in baldock not far from there
my mum is ill and 77 now would been nice to find her brother for her

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
I saw Newark mentioned in this posting and as the town and surrounding area were targets for enemy bombing the birth might not have been in the obvious place.  Due to bombing,  hospitals and medical staff were busy tending the injured.  Maybe the mother chose to take advantage of the government's advice and monetary offer to pregnant women to move inland for the birth where bombers couldn't reach.   for instance my mother travelled from Yorkshire to lodgings in Lancashire twice for the births of my brothers.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke