Author Topic: Jane Stanistreet born Liverpool 1806, married William Carter  (Read 2068 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jane Stanistreet born Liverpool 1806, married William Carter
« on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Jane Stanistreet is the sister of my 4 x great-grandmother (Maria Stanistreet, 1798-1849 - matrilineal ancestor of the two ladies in my userpic, in fact).

In 1841, Jane was living with her parents on Devon Street, Liverpool (Thomas Stanistreet, 1758-?, Jane née Redfern, 1761-1842).

In 1842, aged about 36, Jane married William Carter. He was a coachman, of Dingle Head, Toxteth Park, son of William Carter, a shoemaker.

But that's all I know. I've tried various gyrations in searching the 1851 census, and although some Jane Carters turn up, they don't seem to be the right ones. I've tried going backwards to see if I can find William Carter on the 1841 census, and it's possible he's the 35 (ish) year old male servant of Margaret Foster on Park Road in Toxteth Park (not born in Lancashire). I'm assuming a coachman might count as a "male servant" on the 1841 census?

I found a William and Jane Carter on the 1851 census, but they had a 13 year old son, so I don't think that was them (unlikely to be William's son from a previous marriage as he was apparently a bachelor on his marriage - could be wrong, of course!). There's several baptisms of children of William and Jane Carter in Wavertree Holy Trinity, but I tracked them down on the census and the mum is too young to be my Jane (and other trees suggest her maiden name was Parker anyway). So that's two William & Jane Carters out of the picture.

Of course, both of mine might have died by 1851....

Part of my interest is that Maria is my dad's matrilineal ancestor, so she had the mtDNA haplogroup J1c1c. It would mean Jane did too, and I'm curious as to whether there's any matrilineal descendants from Jane. Of course, I'd also just like to know so I can fill a hole in my family tree!

Their brother, Thomas Christian Stanistreet, had lots of children, and seems to have produced lots of descendants.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Stanistreet born Liverpool 1806, married William Carter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried identifying William on the 1841 census to get an idea of his age and whether he is shown as born in county (ie) Lancs but not necessarily Liverpool

Have you checked Liverpool baptisms from 1843 to see if they had any children which may help narrow down any 1851 search
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, as mentioned above, there's a possible on the 1841 census for William.

I've looked at the baptisms and there's nothing really very possible for them, though.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I see 4 William / Jane Carter baptisms for children on Lan-opc in Liverpool 1842 - 1852
Butcher
Blacksmith
Gardener ....so I would disregard these 3 ......but - as your William was a Coachman - if he was in service for a family with money , could he have become a servant ??

Baptism 1st Dec 1848 at St Augustine , Everton,Liverpool
William Carter - son of William Carter and Jane
abode Prince Edwin Lane
occupation  Servant

do you think this is a possible ??   although baptised dec 1848 - we don't know what year he was born ...but at the baptism Jane would be abt 42 ??....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
on familysearch.org
8th september 1842
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKT6-6P8

transcribed as Stanistret....

is this your Jane in 1841 census - in Islington area ??
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2T-13S
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for having a look, Garstonite. Yes, that's her on the 1841 census - Devon Street is in the Islington area of Liverpool.

I missed that Everton one. It could well be him - if coachman can mean "servant" too.

I see a registration for the birth of a William Carton in the West Derby registration district in December quarter 1848 - and Everton is that area.

I think I've found them on the 1851 census on Prince Edwin Lane (as per the address on the baptism) - Jane is married (although husband not there), a sempstress, born in Beverley, Yorkshire. She has five children, including William - Mary J 13, Robert 12, Sarah Ann 9 all born Hull, then Charlotte 5 born Fleetwood, and William 2 born Liverpool. So I don't think that 1848 baptism is my William and Jane, unfortunately!

Offline mickmog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 16 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am jumping in here; I hope you don't mind. I am searching for a JANE CARTER - gave birth to GEORGE ERNEST CARTER in 1862; Toxteth Park; illegitimate. My Jane SUPPOSEDLY married my gt grandfather WILLIAM (JOHN) MONTGOMERY in Liverpool 1864; then they sailed to Australia in 1865/66. I can find nothing on my JANE or William Montgomery. I have the baptism for George Ernest. Are you able to shed any light on this couple for me?

Kind regards,
Sheryl Sutherland
Australia.

Offline PwcaPug

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 June 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I believe Jane Stanistreet was my 4th Great Aunt.
My Grandma was Lilian May Stanistreet. X

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 June 19 06:24 BST (UK) »

Lancs OPC  have a Jane born 1793...  www.lan-opc.org.uk

Baptism: 9 Jun 1793 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
Jane Stannistreet - second Daur. of Thomas Stannistreet & Jane (formerly Redford)
    Born: 28 May
    Abode: Standishgate
    Mother's Parents: Thomas & Ann Redford