Author Topic: Can anyone read Belgian/Flemish please?  (Read 21971 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read Belgian/Flemish please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
well I got as far as recognising the names so you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of me.

Dutch looks horrendous to learn  ;D
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
These records are great (I have found images on family search), they give lots of information, if only I could read them all  ;D

I'm having to browse as search doesn't seem to find folk!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
may I prevail upon you again with another record and will endeavour to use it as a template for others I find? This is my grandfather's brother  :)

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Graag gedaan Kgarrad welverdiend, the official language makes it difficult (no one speaks like that), but also the old spelling and writing I would think (and because it’s Flemisch, not Dutch, wat het moeilijker maakt voor een Brit die 16 jaar in Nederland gewoond heeft en makkelijker voor een Belgische die al heel haar leven in Vlaanderen woont  ;D)

Prudentia her death was registered under her maiden name because, according to the Belgian law, the only valid and legitimate name is the one on your birth cert. One can use their partner’s name but not on official documents.

Most records for the region Brakel and Lierde are online, parish records : ca 1650-1796, and civil registration records : ca 1796-1910 (some earlier ca 1605, some later up to and including 1912), partly on the Belgian State Archives and partly on FamilySearch.
Brakel = the merged municipalities  Elst, Everbeek, Michelbeke, Nederbrakel, Opbrakel, Zegelsem, Parike
Lierde = the merged municipalities  Deftinge, Sint-Maria-Lierde, Hemelveerdegem, Sint-Martens-Lierde

Yes Parmesan, it states that Petrus Modde died in Zegelsem (the cert is on FamilySearch he died on 25/07/1878 , his given name is Cletus not Petrus)

Birth cert n° 1  -  Charles Louis Emiel Van Achter
In the year 1888, the 4th Januari, at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, before us Alfons Van den Dooren, mayor, officer of the civil registry of the municipality Nederbrakel, judical district Oudenaarde, province East Flanders has appeared : Victor Van Achter, 28 years old, mason, living here, who has shown us a child of the masculine gender, born in this municipality yesterday at 4 o’clock in the morning, from him the appearer and from Leonie Modde, 25 years old, seamstress, his wife, living with him, to wich child he declared he want to give the first names of Charles Louis Emiel. The aforesaid declaration and presentation was done in the presence of Edmond Blommert, 35 years old, slaughterer and Constant Weemaes, 28 years old, land surveyor, both living here, witnesses requested by the declarant, who have signed, beside us, this declaration of birth immediately after the reading. The appearer declared not being able to write.

Leen
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Leen, that is all really interesting, it really is!  I'm glad you said about Petrus/Cletus.  I had Cletius initially but the record with Petrus everything else fit.  Then I found today, all the images on Family Search and have been parked all day browsing and finding lots of family records. I wish I could search! Lots more birth records showed Petrus to be Cletus.

Would you like to move in with me for a bit? ;D

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 January 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
You’re welcome Parmezan,

If you don’t know the dead date of Theresia De Temmerman : according her funeral card (in dutch :  een bidprentje or een doodsprentje) on the website of the Local History association of Brakel-Lierde-Horebeke ‘Triverius’ (Geschied- en Heemkundige Kring Triverius), she died at Opbrakel the 5th January 1913. Prudentia’s funeral card is also on it.

http://www.triverius.be/indexfrx.htm?bidprenten.php     put de temmerman or modde in the box next to ‘wijzig filter’ and click on ‘Pas filter toe’ or enter.

death cert of Theresia’s husband :   Cletus Modde  +  Zegelsem 25/07/1878

The year 1878, 25th July at 5 o’clock in the afternoon, before us Bernard De Cock, alderman, delegated by the municipal executive on the 7th January 1873 as officer of the civil registry of the municipality Zegelsem, have appeared : Louis Modde, 56 years old, watchmaker, living in this municipality at the Rovorst, and Louis Teirlinck, 58 years old, farrier, living here at the Plaats, the first brother and the second acquaintance of the deceased, who have declared to us that today at 7 o’clock in the morning Cletus Modde, 54 years old, innkeeper and shopkeeper, born and living at Opbrakel at the Kempstraat, son of the late Josephus Modde and the late Amelia Desmet, widower of Dominica De Cubber, now husband of Theresia De Temmerman, housekeeper, living at Opbrakel at the Kempstraat, 46 years old; has been found dead in the place named Kanakkendries in this municipality; and the appearers have signed with us after the reading.
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 January 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Wowser!  thanks for all that. If I read correctly that gives me a new generation, Cletus' parents! Many, many thanks.  I will come back to this as not at home and difficult to look at stuff.  I will, if I may, post another couple of documents if you could look at them and clear something up for me?

This is really brilliant, thank you so much  :-*

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 January 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Cletus is not coming up on Triverius, is that where you found him?

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 January 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an awful cheek keep asking but could you give me the gist of this marriage record for Joseph Modde and Amelia De Smet.  I've tried to fathom it with no luck and it mentions a DeTemmerman couple - who are they, any idea?  I wasn't actually looking for this but spotted the names from your previous post - I wouldn't have know otherwise!

Many thanks.