Author Topic: FamilySearch website - Personal information removal  (Read 17535 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FamilySearch website - Personal information removal
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Worth reading - otherwise just post or PM your credit/debit card details & PIN and I'll take care of you  :-*  ;) Promise, honest missus or governor  :D

http://www.scotland.police.uk/keep-safe/safety-security-advice/personal-safety/identity-theft-fraud-and-scams
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
"Since 2003, two versions of the register of electors have been produced. The full version contains the names of every voter but public access to it is strictly controlled. The edited version is available for commercial sale, can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and be used for any purpose. It is this voters roll that can searched online through companies like 192.com"

http://www.electoralregisters.org.uk/modernregisters.htm

I don't care what references you relate to re this/that/other but I found someone online today with telephone number, full postal address/ age (which helped to confirm I had the correct person)!!!

And YOU think that's OKAY ???
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if, in some cases, they even can remove it?  What are they to do with a census page?  Black out the line that includes a forbidden name?  Do the government agencies which supply the data even permit any alteration of the original database?

You bet they do - this is called 'redacting' information.  This was done by the big hitters like Ancestry and FindMyPast so that they could get the 1911 census online.  They had to 'redact' that is to say blank out the information in the infirmity column until 100 years had elapsed.  You can read those bits now because 100 years is up and the government had promised the information would be kept confidential  ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
"You beggar belief..."

Is that so?  You are the one who introduced the subject of English censuses as an example of 'proper' practice back in post #46.

"if they had a code of practice such as the one in place regarding publishing of census records which have addresses from 100 yrs ago but CANNOT be publish for 100 yrs"

A PERFECT example of you "seeing what you want to see/read"

Can you REPOST my supposed reference of "English censuses" PLEASE???

You are now seeing words I haven't even typed??? :-)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:38 GMT (UK) »
As you wish, you have every right to ask, but I think FS and the LDS church will simply not accede to your wishes?

;D ;D ;D............Have you just jumped on the bandwaggon from nowhere?

1st post on this thread by the very person who opened the read, who had their details removed:

"If anyone wishes to have their personal details removed from the FamilySearch website you may request this by contacting:

E-mail: DataPrivacyOfficer "at" ldschurch.org
 Fax: 1-801-240-1187
 Address: Data Privacy Office
 50 E. North Temple St.
 Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0018

Supply URL to each record you would like removed."

Maybe if you read the whole thread you will see that I have not "just jumped on the bandwagon"?

The point I am trying (vainly, it seems) to make is that asking for details to be removed DOES NOT necessarily mean that those details WILL be removed.

You have every right to ask - but I sincerely doubt whether FS will grant your request WHERE th information comes from public data.

I really think you are getting angry with the wrong organisation? It's not FS you need to approach?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
20 + 9 pages and counting  :o
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 08 January 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
May I say, I agree with KGarrad that FS is the wrong organisation. The information will still be out there even if FS remove it.

The link fifer1947 gives doesn't mention Family Search so wonder why that was given.

I have my doubts that any potential criminals would consult Family Search unless they are also genealogists or members of the church.
When I need a USA address, I usually check White Pages. I realise that there are other sites which, for a fee, will provide me with more information but I don't need them.
I have, as a result of this 'discussion' looked on FS site. My US relatives' addresses are out of date and my own name showed no records for UK.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 08 January 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the question that should be answered is "Is the problem only with Family Search having access to this information?"   

We know that this same information is available from 3 other sources - Ancestry, FindMyPast and FreeBMD - plus at least 7 other sites quoted by Dawnsh.

In other words, is only Family Search being targetted?

Another misconstrued reply.

The issue was the full addresses available on FS of living people which IS a problem.

It's an invasion of privacy 1st off  ::)

Annie.

Where do full addresses come from?

We were talking about an INDEX !!!!

Moderator comment:  Topic locked.  Time to move on, please.  Any issues you have with the website that you have been discussing, please take them up with that organisation. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY