Author Topic: The children of George Archer and Mary Anne Steward  (Read 7298 times)

Offline simoncooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The children of George Archer and Mary Anne Steward
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is a few years late for this post, but if anyone is there and interested, I descend (great grandchild) from John Archer and Jane Rogers. I have quite a bit of info if interested.
Bubb, Porter, Stokes, Tayler/Taylor, Painter, Carter, Baker, Reynolds, Curtis, Chandler - (all N Wiltshire).
Archer - Tetbury, Hornchurch, Hampshire
Rogers - Bridgnorth, Treflach, Trefonen.
Davies - Llansilin, Llanrhaedr,
Gosling - Swindon, Honiton
Cooper - Limehouse?

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

We are clearly related, as John ARCHER (1877-1962) was the younger brother of my Great Grandfather, George ARCHER (1861-1941). My gran was George's eldest daughter Rhoda ARCHER (1888-1978) and my mum was her daughter Violet DANIELS (1922-1987).

I know a reasonable amount about the family, including their origins in Whitchurch, Hampshire. I would love to see what you have found out over the years and would be more than willing to share knowledge.

Steve

Offline simoncooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 September 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
I've been tracing family for quite a while now, but stayed away from the sites. This is being done at work, so my info is not available, but I'll send dates etc when I can (although you probably have most).
In short, John and Jane Archer had two children Doreen and Jack.
Doreen married Richard Cooper, and they had two sons, Gerald and Richard (although Doreen did have an illegitimate son at 16).
I am the eldest son of Gerald and Shirley (nee Bubb).
There are quite a number of family stories about John Archer, and I am still trying to find a tape I made years ago that he is speaking on. Once found I could send a copy if you want.
Jack (as John was known), spent his lifetime working with horses, and was a highly respected Stud Groom, especially for Sir Walter Preston and the local Hunt based in Tetbury (he might even had had an affair with Lady Preston). He distinguished himself in WW1 in the Army Veterinary Corps, when he won a Military Medal for saving a wounded soldier. I have a number of photos of him which I'll try and can and send to you.
I also have a photo of Alice Archer. She never married, and came to live with Jack in Tetbury. She was always known as Aunt Alice, and dad said she was a lovely kind lady (he also though a lot of his grandad Jack). Aice was cremated, and Jack spread her ashes around the tree in their back garden in Northfield Rd, Tetbury.
I also have a photo that might be of George Archer, bn in Hampshire. Quite a jolly person with a pipe. We don't know for definite though, and if I can get you a copy you might be able to shed more light on it.
Ive traced the Archers back to Freefolk, and come to a bit of an end there.
Finding it hard to send a personal message on this site, but am receiving them.
Simon.

Bubb, Porter, Stokes, Tayler/Taylor, Painter, Carter, Baker, Reynolds, Curtis, Chandler - (all N Wiltshire).
Archer - Tetbury, Hornchurch, Hampshire
Rogers - Bridgnorth, Treflach, Trefonen.
Davies - Llansilin, Llanrhaedr,
Gosling - Swindon, Honiton
Cooper - Limehouse?