Author Topic: Adam and John Burgess, arrived Melbourne Dec 1863  (Read 3451 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam and John Burgess, arrived Melbourne Dec 1863
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:45 GMT (UK) »
In the Port of Embarkation column on the manifest for the GREAT VICTORIA there are numbers...these numbers do not appear on all manifests.   Could they be ticket numbers and if so who are the others included under the number?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes - wondered about the others as the names didn't seem familiar. I don't know enough about unassisted passages!

I've also found a probate for an Adam Burges 1918, Palmerston North. Same area as the Georges.

PS and an immigration record 1890 of an A Burgess to Auckland - looks like the same hand and date  as the William George one - need to check other pages!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Little information as if I recall it was in 1852 it became compulsory for ship's captains to record passengers details instead of x number of females and males in steerage.

This could possibly be his death in Victoria

GLADSTONE William
Father John  Mother Elizabeth MOORE
Born GALL [?Galway] 54 years  1866   Reg#5591

and his wife's

GLADSTONE Mary
Father Bright  Mother Unknown
Born Dublin  62 years 1876  Reg#12294

Possibly they simply travelled together as their son Wm was the same age as Adam but that number has me puzzled.

Never leave a stone unturned ;)

Cando

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 January 15 00:05 GMT (UK) »
They don't seem to appear on the Eng & Wales 1861 census, so maybe they came to Liverpool from Ireland to get the ship.

The Burgess and the Paynes were Kirkcudbright/Dumfries families so can't think they were relatives either.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
PS -They're down as English on the listing.  Also, I wonder about the numbering as it seems a bit inconsistent:

31057 William Gladstone
.... 5 other people
31066 Thomas Hammond 

They  could be just a ticket numbers with a few missing.

Just found some Gladstones in Kelton (where the Burgess came from). Not William and Mary though.

PPS - the Kelton family were an Ebenezer Gladstone and Agnes Neilson with offspring...  Same street where Adam, snr, had property.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 January 15 05:58 GMT (UK) »
This is a very long shot but perhaps it's the GLADSTONEs in 1851 - shipping manifests are notoriously unreliable for ages as people put them up or down depending on the circumstances - no passports then! By 1863 David may have left home and only the 2 younger children accompanied their parents.

15 Moss Square,
Monks Coppenhall, Crewe, Cheshire
William Gladstone   42, wheelwright, b Scotland (boohoo - no actual place listed)
Mary Gladstone   40, b Scotland
David Gladstone   10, b Liverpool
Elizah M Gladstone   6, b Liverpool
William Gladstone   4, b Crewe
Eliza Lawrie   14, servant b Scotland

Hmm - by 1861 William is still in Monks Coppenhall in Church St, listed as a boarder.

Head of house is David GARDINER, engine turner, b Ayr Scotland
Joan GARDINER, 55, b Dumfries Scotland
William 52, millwright
 Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 January 15 06:15 GMT (UK) »
As to the numbers on the manifest they don't seem to follow any pattern at all as you look further down the page.  However, it still looks possible that the BURGESS lads and the GLADSTONEs were on the same ticket.  As already said shipping lists are often inaccurate.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 January 15 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Could they be embarkation numbers?

Cando

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 January 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
So there's nothing more about the Burgesses  :-\

I think the Gladstones are a bit of a red herring. I've been through to the first pages and worked forward. They appear to be ticket numbers - some have been crossed out and 'Died' written over.