Author Topic: Jesse Royall Minns  (Read 4123 times)

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jesse Royall Minns
« on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Jesse Royall Minns was born 4 March 1864 in Bristol to Henry Royall and Eliza Minns. In 1881 Jesse, along with his parents and 6 unmarried siblings, are in Street, Somerset.
This is the last sighting I have of Jesse. I can find no death or marriage for him in the UK (the one in Maidstone in 1910 is not him).
There is no definitive sighting of him in passenger lists, though one of his brothers, John Royall did end up in the USA and Puerto Rico, and another brother Henry Benjamin Royall did travel to Canada and the USA. The family as a whole spent time in Quebec, Canada in the 1870s.
This is a long shot but has anyone come across him anywhere in the world???

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jesse Royall Minns
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Dad appears to die in Nottingham in 1911

Is Jesse mentioned in any siblings wills? Or is he a witness when any sibling marries?
That might narrow down when he was still around.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Father died at the home of his married daughter. There is no mention in any sibling will, his father left no will and he doesn't appear as a witness on any of his siblings' marriage certificates.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Canadian Passenger List - 27 August 1881 - Circassian - transcribed as Jesse Means aged 19 years - rather blurry but could be Jesse Minns and the age maybe 18  ??? Unfortunately, early passenger lists give very limited information.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 January 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Sandra.
I appreciate you looking. My gut instinct was always that he went to Canada but have not been able to pin him down there in any subsequent census. However it's now worth another look.
Many thanks again.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Still haven't found anything in Canada for your Jesse - certain well hidden if he's there.

Sandra  :'(
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking, Sandra. It is very much appreciated.

I've been looking for years and have had no luck either  ??? Perhaps he didn't go to Canada but if he didn't, I'd love to know where he did go! 

Thanks again.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
He could well have "disappeared" if he died in Quebec before the 1891 census - I don't think there's a solid database that covers the entire province for that period (because there weren't civil bmds, just church records).

Other thoughts:
Are there any other family surnames he might have utilised?
When the family were in Quebec, do you know exactly where? Perhaps they still had friends in the area?
When did his brother Henry travel to Canada, and do you know where he went?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's not a good thought! :-[

To answer your questions:
Some of the family joined the Royall and Minns together and became Royallminns. His brother John did that, so that's what his branch in the US is called.

When the family was in Quebec another daughter was born in 1877, in St Jean-sur-Richelieu (I have the baptismal record) and I have found references to the father being in Chambly Canton.

Brother Henry Benjamin Royall Minns travelled to Quebec from Liverpool in 1882. Apart from being described as "Gent" there are no further details. Consequently I don't know why he was going but he may have been acting for his father who was involved in the leatherboard industry. This was the reason they all went to Quebec originally so I have presumed HBR was visiting the same area.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks for taking an interest. :)