Author Topic: 1811 Marriage Licence  (Read 3323 times)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1811 Marriage Licence
« on: Thursday 08 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful for any help with a quick question on marriage licences please.

I found a marriage on the Cornish OPC site that took place in 1811 in Madron Penzance. The record says the marriage was by licence and I was wondering whether there is a way of seeing the licence itself? I am hoping the licence might have a bit more info on it than the record of the marriage, which just has the names and the place of origin of the groom. Does anyone know whether it is likely that there would be more information?

Many thanks for any help

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1811 Marriage Licence
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 January 15 11:34 GMT (UK) »
If a copy still exists, it would be in the record office at Exeter as Cornwall wasn't a diocese until a later date.
http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/dro-photocopying.htm

I have a copy of one from the 1790s, but another I asked for wasn't there/hasn't survived. You pay whether they have the copy or no. In the one I have there wasn't much useful info, parishes of both spouses, occupation of the groom, and the signatures of the groom to be & the brother of the wife to be.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 January 15 12:00 GMT (UK) »
However, there are not any actual marriage licences among the Exeter Diocesan records. Sometimes they survive in small numbers among the records of the particular parish, or in family collections where the licence was returned to the bride and groom as a souvenir, but generally they have not survived on a long-term basis. - See more at: http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/community/the_county/record_office/family_history_3/marriage_licences.htm#sthash.lflCo3Po.dpuf
A visit to the clergyman issuing the licence resulted in three documents, an allegation or affidavit, a marriage bond and the licence.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping the licence might have a bit more info on it than the record of the marriage, which just has the names and the place of origin of the groom.

I think you'll find the marriage entry has the place of residence?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies, that's very helpful.
I think it is his place of origin. He was Portuguese and it says 'native of Oporto' after his entry. Although, the baptisms for his children make it clear he was a mariner and it may be that he was resident in Oporto before the marriage when not at sea.
This was why I was wondering whether the marriage licence etc might have more information as at present I have very little else to go on in finding out more about him.
Many thanks,

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
KGerrad - it is 1811 so pre-Rose's Act and just a brief entry sadly.