Author Topic: 1851 censusLooking for please  (Read 8718 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 censusLooking for please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a report from  the Merthyr Board of Guardians reported in the Western Mail 1 May 1882, relating to the discharge of William Morgan Harpist who was in the asylum - could this be your William ??

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Again Thankyou for the information, Beggining to accept that they might never have married So if you are still willing to assist is there aWilliam Morgan born Merthyr Tydfil and a Mary Richards (Morgan) born Aberdare. in the 1861 census. Years ago I think I located a Morgan Williams who was a harpist boarder in a public house (blue Lantern ?). But just dismissed it. Should have checked it more carefully.Again Thankyou for all your help. Eirwen

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 00:05 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting 1851 entry : Mary Richards aged 19 sister in law to the head - a David Hopkins 29 married to a Susannah Hopkins 28 in Treaman, along with father in law David Richards a widower age 57 and a "Niece" or rather nephew William Morgans 10 all born Aberdare, but not found anything else so far.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The Morgan Williams you found must be : Morgan Williams who was visiting the Blue Bell Caerphilly Hamlet of Energlyn. He was a visitor aged 25 unmarried born Llnatwit Vardre.
Hamlet Energlyn, Ecclesiastical district   St Martins, Registration district Cardiff, Enumeration district1a
Piece number 4028, Folio number 16, Page number 25

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Like to thank everyone for all the replies which have been given to me Hope. I may be able to fit them into my research .Regards Eirwen

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
On  the 1891 census there is a William Morgan harpist age written as 30 but with "NK" next to the age, born Merthyr at the Rock Inn, Bridgend Rd Aberkenfig welsh speaker in a household of English speakers - William Thomas In Keeper and  family.

No other harpists UP TO 1901 that match your William.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
The Harpists on the censuses were mainly sons of Inn keepers or Blind. There are only 34 Harpists and 73 Harpers in 1861. Many harpists were blind - a suitable occupation for blind people, while others were sons Inn Keepers. You would need to have access to a harp and have to be taught by some other harpist I would have thought. A harpist could also have another main occupation so may not be list their occupation as harpist.
What is the address given for the birth of your John ?

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already, it might be worth contacting Pontypridd Museumhttp://www.pontypriddmuseum.org.uk/en/

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
John was born 1868 High Street Pontypridd his sister. Mary was born 1873 same address and his brother William was born Merthyr Tydfil about 1863 ( have never located Wiiiam's birth) If fwhat you say harpists might be son's of harpists it might explain why on the death certificate of Mary their mother in 1911 William ( son)  when,registering the death put it as Pantryn Newbridge maybe he was also a harpist. boarding in a public house. Just a thought. Eirwen p.s always thought that ,NK in a ceneuS stood for not known