Author Topic: Transcriptions  (Read 853 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Transcriptions
« on: Monday 04 July 05 09:32 BST (UK) »
HI

I don't want to knock Ancestry, the availaility of Censuses has helped me enormously, however there seem to be a large number of mis-transcriptions.
I have an ancestor I know emigrated to Canada, I made serious dates in assuming the date of emigration through an inability to find in Censuses. Yesterday I found her on 1901 Census , not on Ancestry, but on the Official 1901 site.
I am sure the record must be there in Ancstry.
However there is one Ancestor, who is missing from Ancestry in 1901, I know for a fact exactly where they were living, I looked up the images, and part of the street is missing from Ancestry

Does anyone else find bad transcription and indexing?

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
Re: Transcriptions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
All the time, Bob. Remember that one person went round the houses entering names by what he heard only, another person then read these and wrote out the census records and, years later, someone else attempted to index this lot. Very difficult.

That is why it is so important to include as much information about the people as possible.

Have you tried to decipher some of those entries without the hindsight of the name.  :-\ :-\

And, the official 1901 site is notorious for mis-transcritions. These were sent abroad and transcribed by people whose first language wasn't English.

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi