Author Topic: Harper family - Derry  (Read 2604 times)

Offline huntermh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harper family - Derry
« on: Monday 12 January 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
**just got info that it was Co. Antrim, not Derry, so I'll repost there and this can be deleted.

Hi,
I'm new here so I hope I have the protocol correct and please correct me if/as I get it wrong.

I was adopted with no genetic info, but I connected with a very nice "2nd to 4th" cousin on one of those DNA testing sites and we're trying to figure out how we're related. We believe it's from her Irish side of the family (we're both in the US), so we're trying to do research on the Harper family from Co. Derry, specifically the children of James Harper b.5/12/1806 and Jane MacCullough b.3/5/1814. We've been able to rule out one line, that of their son, James E. Harper born 2/14/1836 in Derry who immigrated to the US...so we're trying to track the other children's families. Any leads or help or advice would be much appreciated (have tried some other well known sites, dead ends so far). We have the other children's birth dates from an old family bible:

David Harper b.9/28/1834
Eliza Harper b.April 1838
Andrew Harper b.6/11/1840
Margaret Harper b.5/25/1841
Mary Harper b.10/22/1844
William & Annie Harper (twins) b. 7/31/1846
Jane Harper b.10/19/1851
Sarah Harper b.5/1/1855
Martha Harper b.7/17/1858

thanks very much everyone!

Cheers,
Hunter

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harper family - Derry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 07:13 BST (UK) »
Huntermh  I have been doing some serious revision on my Harper family.They started in Carnmoney,Co Antrim(these days it's just a suburb of Belfast -back then it would have been a small country village)but my branch ended up in Co Derry.
My line was Robert Park Harper (born 1786) who m'd Jean hill. Robert had a brother James (born 1782)  who m'd Janet Hunter in 1813 Robert and James's siblings wereJanet,Alexander,William,John,Abie (probably Abraham),Isaac,and Hugh.
The name Hunter made me think it might have some interest for you. Agnetta.