Author Topic: Where would I start?  (Read 995 times)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where would I start?
« on: Monday 12 January 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully, I'm posting in the correct part, apologies if not.

I'm just looking for tips on where to find an ancestors home town?
He originally came from Ireland (census records) although he was married in Scotland and all his children were born in Scotland.
There is no mention of his parents in the Irish census records?
I don't know where else to look, I don't even know which county to start looking in. Is there any other way I could find any information out? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I start?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You haven't given any details of a timescale/birthyears etc etc so it's difficult to offer advice about where to look as that will depend on more info

Did he marry in Scotland anytime from 1855 onwards?  If so - his parents names and mothers maiden name will be on his marriage cert

The 1911 census is usually more specific about actual birthplaces within Ireland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Carole. I've estimated his birth year to be approx 1839, his parents are mentioned on his marriage cert. I can't find any record in either the Scottish or irish records for his parents, and there is no mention of his birth to these parents in civil regs. or otherwise?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
If he was born in 1839 in Ireland - that was pre-Civil Reg

Registration began in Ireland in 1864. However, registration of Protestant marriages had begun earlier in 1845. Births, marriages and deaths were registered with district registrars. 

Presume he died before the 1911 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you have him in any Scottish censuses? If so does it mention a place of birth in Ireland? (in my limited research it usually only says "Ireland" though ...)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, As you said it only says Ireland. Without any mention of the parents on the Irish census, I can't even find out what county it was. I just wondered would there be any other place I could try to find even the parents at least?

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Your'e correct Carole, because he was born before the regulations, I'm finding it almost impossible to trace anything. Funnily enough I can't find a death cert in either Scotland or Ireland. His wife and children all have death certs in Scotland but not him? I thought he might have went back to Ireland but can't trace him at all.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I sympathise. I have done some recent research for someone and all (bar one) of their lines lead back to Ireland in a similar time frame which meant I was unable to get any further. 

The surname may give some hints as to whereabouts in Ireland the family originated.