Author Topic: What regiment is this WW1 Cap Badge?  (Read 6156 times)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What regiment is this WW1 Cap Badge?
« on: Wednesday 14 January 15 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Anyone recognise the cap badge? Its from a WW1 photo of a drummer boy. The bigger photo has 'BEDFORD' and a word before this possibly 'SON' which is lost, embossed on the bottom right hand corner though that's not shown on this snippet.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline spotter2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What regiment is this WW1 Cap Badge?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
It looks very similar to one of the designs of the WW1 Royal Engineers badge.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have to agree with spotter2015, it does seem to be a match for the RE badge.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree it look very similar, though to me the centre part looks more substantial than the RE badge.

I guess to become a drummer boy in the RE you'd live locally? If so that all sounds rather neat. Find out where the RE were based, match a base where relatives lived to that part of the country and identify drummer boy in photo.
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is another picture here of one, which shows a resemblance to your photograph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/RoyalEngineersGeorgeV.jpg

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline spotter2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree it look very similar, though to me the centre part looks more substantial than the RE badge.

I guess to become a drummer boy in the RE you'd live locally? If so that all sounds rather neat. Find out where the RE were based, match a base where relatives lived to that part of the country and identify drummer boy in photo.
Re comment 1...the blurring in pictures of badges can make them look very different from their real appearance.

Re comment 2...No, absolutely not !,...a person in any British Army unit might enlist and or serve in a unit which had no connection with their home area, and during WW1 they might be transferred to several different regiments/corps during their service,...as for the Royal Engineers, it was one of the biggest Corps in the British Army, many thousands of men served in it at any given time period, and they served all over Britain and all over the world.

That's why their motto is...Ubique ( i.e. Everywhere ).

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
No, absolutely not !
I know, sorry, should have included a smiley face.
a person in any British Army unit might enlist and or serve in a unit which had no connection with their home area
Even a drummer boy?
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline spotter2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh, you were being ironic, eh. ?  :) I just assumed that you were an American.  :)
Yep, even a drummer boy, and bear in mind, when someone enlisted, they had a choice of regiment/corps, at least they did until later in WW1 when manpower needs took preference over the wishes of recruits.

Today a recruit will enlist at their local recruitment office, and then be sent to train at wherever the training depot of his chosen unit is, much the same procedure as it was back then, except that back then he would have enlisted at the army barracks of whatever unit happened to be in his local area, so for example, a recruit in Glasgow  might have enlisted to serve in the Royal Artillery, and have done so in an infantry regiment barracks in Glasgow, and then have been sent to Woolwich in London perhaps, to do his basic training in the Royal Artillery.

You keep calling him a drummer "boy", and perhaps he was a boy, you have only posted a picture of his hat !,...the minimalist approach.  :) ... and certainly at least up to the late Victorian era boys were legally enlisted as musicians, and even in recent years 16 year olds, and I think even 15 year olds, with parental consent, could enlist for junior service in the British Army.

In WW1 the minimum age for adult service was 17 in the territorials, 18 in the ordinary army, but nobody was supposed to serve overseas until they were 19, but of course many thousands of underage youths both enlisted and served abroad at much younger ages,...his hat is typical 1902 pattern service dress, so he could have enlisted pre WW1, or post WW1.

There were adult drummers in the WW1 and pre and post WW1 era, and if a man served overseas in WW1 he was entitled to campaign medals, and if you go here, and search on the rank of drummer, you'll see lots of supposedly adult drummers...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is this just a unknown photograph you have of a "Drummer Boy" or do you have a possible name for him?  :)

Regards
Frank