Author Topic: Christopher Shepherd  (Read 1327 times)

Offline frangelico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Shepherd
« on: Wednesday 14 January 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandma,s brother emigrated to Wichita in the state of Kansas. He went in July 8th 1882. He was single when he went, at some point he got married to a women 26 yrs younger than him.  I found a record of him requesting to return to England with his wife Isabella S Shepherd to visit his mother in 1920.  On the form he says his wife was born in Durham England. Also on the form he says he had not left America in the 37 years he had lived there so I think his wife must have been a British Immigrant as well. I was wondering if anyone could find out his wife,s maiden name. I found photos of their graves on one of the grave sites where they are buried in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas. They never had any children. He was born 8th August 1849 in Co Durham England,
Thank you

Frangelico

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I cant find a marriage yet but in the Census Isabella says she arrived 1908, and they were married by 1915. 

An Isabella S Owen arrived at New York on 6th September 1908 aboard the SS Etruria from Liverpool. She was aged 35 & single.  No further information. Worth looking into?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for Christopher Shepherd & Isabella Stephenson on 14 May 1908.   http://mhgswichita.org/S-T.html

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, that looks better!

Isabella Stephenson arrived New York 9 May 1908 aboard the Mauretania. Aged 33 & from Durham. Last address in England was her parents, Mr & Mrs Stephenson from Warden Law, Houghton le Spring. She was heading for Wichita......

Added: her ticket was paid for by C Shepherd and her onward destination was to her fiancé C Shepherd 401 St Frances Avenue, Wichita
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census, High Warden Law, Houghton Le Spring:

Bartholomew  Stephenson  58  Head  b Houghton Le Spring, Durham  Railway Engineman
Ann  Stephenson  50  Wife  b Penshaw, Durham   
Emma  Hunter  27  Daughter  b Houghton Le Spring, Durham  Music Teacher   
Isabella  Stephenson  26  Daughter  b Houghton Le Spring, Durham  Dressmaker   

Maurine added the 1881 link as I was typing but it certainly looks like the same family.  Wonder who Emma Hunter is though? My mistake - missed that she was married.

Offline frangelico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 January 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, it is brilliant of you all to find that information for me. His wife actually lived about 4 mile from where I live.

Thank you again, much appreciated.