Author Topic: birth William & Henry WOOLCOT  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
birth William & Henry WOOLCOT
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

though he is not a direct ancestor, I am keen to learn more about William & Henry Woolcot(t) and their family/-ies. I discovered a site, wolcottfamily.com, but the information on there seems to be quite wrong.

William Woolcot was the brother-in-law of my ancestor John Adams, a picture liner, restorer and dealer in London. The same John Adams had a 17 year old apprentice living with him in 1841. Of course I suppose it is his nephew, Williams son.

I have traced both in all censuses up to their deaths, but I can't find their births anywhere...
According to the censuses, Henry was born around 1824 in St Martin in the Fields. This is consistent with William, who lived in St Martins and whose first wife Elisabeth died in 1827. I could only find two children, though, born in 1812 and 1814 (they were married in 1811 in St Martins).
Theoretically it is possible that they had more children before she died, and if so Henry was probably one of them. I just can't find them...
There are some candidates born in St Luke Finsbury that fit the bill, but I am quite sure that is another couple with the same names.

Williams birth is also a problem. The census are quite consistent: they all put him in Devon around 1788, in either Tiverton or Molton. I first thought that Tiverton was the registration district, and the town he was actually born in was Molton, but South Molton seems to be a registration district on its own. Molton was given only once (1841), the others censuses said Tiverton, so I suppose that is more correct.
I have yet been unable to find him. All William Woolcotts born in Devon between 1785 and 1795 are from way down south. The closest to Tiverton I could come was Kingsteignton and Stokeinteignhead, both halfway between Exeter and Dorset.

If anyone would have tips of where to find more information, I would be grateful if you'd let me know.

Best regards,
Tom

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: birth William & Henry WOOLCOT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Bonjour
I've had no luck with Henry Woolcott but I've got a possible for William.

If you look for Williams Will in 1874 on the National Wills Index it names his executors as daughter Mary and son George from his second marriage.
Above that is a Administration for another William Woolcott by the same Mary and George who died at South Molton 15.4.1845.Your William Woolcott is named as William's nephew.
Uncle William is on the 1841 census in East St South Molton
William Woolcott 75 Ind y
Mary 85  Ind y

The baptism for this man at South Molton gives William Walcott son of John and Mary 4.3.1764.
This fits nicely with his age being rounded down on the 1841 census.

John and Mary nee Lake  married 2.4.1743 and also had these children at South Molton.
John 8.2.1743
Mary 16.3.1745
Henry 11.4.1748
Mary 29.4.1753
Eleanor 31.10.1756
Simon 3.6.1759

John the eldest seems to move to High Bickington and with his wife Mary had a son William 5.3.1786 at High Bickington.I think this is your William.
Other possible children for the couple.
Robert 1.1.1762,John 15.1.1765-2.5.1765,John 20.1.1767,Margaret 12.1.1772,Elizabeth 8.8.1773,Grace 25.8.1776,William 4.2.1777,Elizabeth 23.2.1779 ,Mary 21.1.1781,Jane 1.1.1784-6.6.1786 and Robert 2.3.1789.

At one time there was a Will for John Woolcott died 1799  High Bickington woolcomber which would be worth a look.However it didn't survive the bombing of WWII.

On the freeholders of Devon list
John Woolcott freeholder High Bickington North Tewton 1738 freeholder and 1747 leeseholder

See what you think

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: birth William & Henry WOOLCOT
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

that sounds interesting! My ancestry page is temporarily "out" but as soon as it's available again I will look into your findings, starting with the will (I had found the BMD death certificate, but didn't look for the will yet).

I did find a Richard Woolcott this morning, baptised in South Molton in 1798, son of Richard and Mary. He probably fits in there as well, somewhere.

Thank you so much for putting me on a track! I'll let you all know if it is the right track or not after I had a good look at it.

Regards,
Tom