Author Topic: John Waddell the Martyr  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Waddell the Martyr
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 January 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
And Easter Ross was the very place for the Covenanters.  ;D
Welcome to the site.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 January 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello (cousin?) easterross, welcome to RootsChat.

I have now found my copy of MacArthur's New Monkland Parish: Its History, Industries and People.

He quotes extensive from Robert Wodrow's The history of the sufferings of the church of Scotland from the restoration to the revolution, and in particular he lists John Waddell in New Monkland as one of the five executed in November 1679 at Magus-muir, and later on says that the five were to be "carried to the muir of Magus, in the Sheriffdom of Fife .... upon the 18th of November instant, and there to be hanged ....."

So there is some doubt whether the date is the 18th of November, as in the Lords' sentence quoted above, or the 25th, as on the stones erected later to commemorate them. What is not in question is the place of death, which is Magus Muir, not in the parish of New Monkland.

Among the Covenanters aboard the Crown of London are listed William Waddell, who survived, and James Waddell, who did not. A proclamation dated 5th May 1684 listed William Waddell in Riding as one of the fugitives in the parish of New Monkland.

Matthew Waddell in Ryding was fined in 1706, and imprisoned in Hamilton until he paid up. William Waddell in Ryden was fined six pounds for his wife and bairns, their being at a preaching.

MacArthur quotes from the East Monkland Kirk Session minutes a list of those who lost during the persecutions of the 1680s including James Waddell, in Arnbuckle; James Waddell in Standridge; John Waddell in Auchengray; William Waddell in Ryden. Matthew Waddell in Ryden also wrote an account of his own losses. The same source lists among those who suffered after Bothwell Bridge John Waddell, put to death; James Waddell, son to John Waddell, in Ridge, transported and died in the shipwreck; William Waddell in Craigneuck, transported and escaped from the shipwreck. Margaret Waddell, aged about eighty, wife of John Martin, was cast out of her house face down on a dunghill and, being unable to move, would have died there but for being rescued by friends. Two John Waddells in Wester Arnbuckle were taken to Edinburgh at another period, and lay there for a considerable time. John Waddell in Auchengray was also wounded and captured at Bothwell Bridge.

Later on, MacArthur describes John Craig Waddell (1813-1882) who was "the descendant and representative of the Ryden Waddells .... who suffered so much during the religious persecution in the seventeenth century". He goes on, "It is recorded that John Waddell, of Ryden .... was hanged along with four others at Magus Muir, while his son William was banished for seven years to the plantations in Virginia. The mother of this John Waddell, when above eighty years of age, was .... dragged outside and would have perished had not some friends come to her relief."

It doesn't take an eagle eye to spot inconsistencies. The earlier sources say that the eighty-year-old lady dragged out but saved by friends was the wife of John Martin, not the wife of a Waddell, and the William Waddell sentenced to transportation is termed 'in Craigneuck' in part of the earlier source, and a William Waddell in Ryden was among those fined in 1706.

The escaped William is generally said to have fled to Ireland, where he became the progenitor of the Waddells of Ouley in County Down.

The more I look at this, the more confused I get about exactly who was who :(

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 January 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
PS Have now tracked down the relevant pages of Wodrow online. They add nothing of relevance to this thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwaddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Waddell the Martyr and the William the Survivor line to the US
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 March 24 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello - My name is Mike Waddell and I live in Emmaus, PA.

I have been researching my Waddell family line for many years and I'm stuck at Joseph Waddle b. 1799 d. 1854 in Franklin County, Pennsylvania.  His death certificate states that his father was Joseph Waddle [b. 1750 d. 1818] and his mother is Martha [Caldwell b. 1775 d. 1826].  The problem is that I can't find any information about Joseph b. 1750.

The line I believe may connect is from John the Martyr Waddell via William b. 1660 [brother of the Martyr?] who was the lone Waddell survivor of the Crown of London shipwreck in December, 1679.  He made it to Ireland and subsequently his four sons came to America and settled in the Franklin County area.  The Waddells of Colonial Pennsylvania and Virginia publication, 1992 asserts that William's son William b. c1715 had a son Joseph b. 1738 d. 1818 who had a son Joseph b. 1799 d. 1854 but I can't find any source for the Joseph b. either 1738 or 1750.

Does anyone at this forum have any information that might help me?

Regards,
Mike Waddell
Waddell

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 March 24 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Mike :)

Gavin's book does tell the story of the Crown of London and he says that William Waddell of Ryden escaped to Ireland where he founded 'several significant families, including the Ouley branch, and the American dynasty of James Waddell, the Blind Preacher of Tinkling Spring ....'

Unfortunately it isn't easy - may not even be possible - to pin down exactly the generations between William W of Ryden and later generations, because the records simply don't exist. There are huge gaps in the surviving Irish records between 1680 and the middle of the 19th century, and quite a lot of what does exist is unindexed and therefore time-consuming to extract.

The late Caraline Wilfreda Bingley, née Waddell, did a vast amount of work collecting information about Waddell families in Ireland, and collaborated with Gavin in the preparation of his book. However she herself says that it had not proved possible to link all of the Irish families together, or to establish with certainty who left Scotland when, though most if not all of them are believed to have sprung from the Waddells in New Monkland.

It isn't known with certainty, for example, how old William W was, or how exactly he was related to John W The Martyr, though Gavin had concluded that they must have been brothers. It is known that he made his way to Ireland in after the wreck in 1679, where he married and had a family. At least one of his sons stayed in Ireland and became the founder of the Waddells of Ouley.

Another son, Thomas, married Janetta Bruce and became the father of James Waddell, the Blind Preacher of Tinkling Spring, Virginia, said to have been born in Newry, County Down in 1739. Thomas and family emigrated to the USA, where James married Mary Gordon and had a large and well documented family.

Could your elusive Joseph have been a brother of the Blind Preacher, born after his family left Ireland for North America?

There's a monument to the victims of the Crown of London at Deerness in Orkney https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/23785

Offline mwaddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 March 24 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this quick response that makes me feel better about the difficulty in finding anything substantive re my Waddell family line that becomes muddied past Joseph Waddle b. 1799 d. 1854 in Franklin County, PA.  I have this Joseph's death cert that shows Joseph Waddle as his father and Martha Waddle [Caldwell] as his mother.  I also have Joseph's will that helps define this family in 1818 at his death [I'd be happy to send any or all of this documentation to you if you want it].

I went to Chambersburg, Franklin County last week and visited the Franklin County Historical Society and the FC Archives from which I got some good maps that show parcels owned by Thomas, James, and Joseph. 

Truthfully, I'm hanging my hat on the Waddells of Colonial PA and VA lineage that asserts the William b. c 1715 and his son Joseph b. 1738 connected to my certain Joseph b. 1799 d. 1854.  This isn't a perfect connection but it's certainly worth consideration.

Also, I don't believe that the Blind Preacher had any children named Joseph.
Regards,
Mike Waddell
Waddell

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 March 24 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm hanging my hat on the Waddells of Colonial PA and VA lineage that asserts the William b. c 1715 and his son Joseph b. 1738 connected to my certain Joseph b. 1799 d. 1854.  This isn't a perfect connection but it's certainly worth consideration.
I do have a note that Thomas W, father of the Blind Preacher, had a brother named William, and I have a date of birth for him, 29 October 1710, but I don't know where that came from.

Also, I don't believe that the Blind Preacher had any children named Joseph.
I didn't suggest that he did. I speculated that he might have had a brother named Joseph.

I would be interested in the contents of any documentation that contains contemporary primary records of any family relationships.

Offline mwaddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 March 24 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Thomas W had a brother William b. 29 October, 1710 and he is the father of the Joseph b. 1738 who may be my direct ancestor leading to Joseph b. 1799 in Franklin County, PA.

I believe that James Waddel had William, John, Robert and Francis as siblings as noted in the Waddells of Colonial PA and VA.

Is there a way to send you documents through this site?

Mike Waddell
Waddell

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 March 24 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to send you documents through this site?
Two ways.

You can attach a document to a post in the forum. That's useful for images and short documents, but there are size limits.

Also, now that you have made a few posts, you can use the Personal Messaging system to exchange e-mail addresses. You do that by clicking on the icon like a sheet of paper with a folded corner under the name of the person you want to get in touch with.