Author Topic: Austin William and Robert Winter  (Read 1716 times)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Austin William and Robert Winter
« on: Sunday 18 January 15 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any family connection to either of the above to try and help sort out a mixup . I can find no family connection with these two gents . My additional information came from Ancestry.co.uk

Long story, very short.  In Merridale Cemetery there is a headstone to a Sergeant 17608 A W Winter, King's Shropshire Light Infantry who died on the 9th December 1917.
There are some extra documents that can be looked at on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, site and there is a record of Austin William Winter. Austin was a soldier and I have seen his army record, but he was Acting Sergeant 285392, Royal Garrison Artillery. Austin died at his home on the 14th April 1927.
The army number and regiment stated on the headstone for A W Winter, in fact belongs to Sergeant Robert Winter who died in the 5th Northern General Hospital, Leicester, of a haematoma (blood clot) on the 10th December 1917.  I wonder if any of the famlies are aware of what appears to be a mixup.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Austin William and Robert Winter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
According to the SWB list A.W. Winter attested 1/10/16 & was discharged 12/4/18 as a Gnr. 57 Coy. R.G.A. no. 285392 so as you say can't be the A.W. Winter 17608 K.S.L.I. buried in 1917.
I notice on his docs. his preference is KSLI.
Ok well there seems to have been more than 1 mixup as on his docs. it states he received his injury while in the S. Staffs (which Austin served in for 2 years prior to the RGA). his no. is given as 20020 for this.
The MIC for this man is Arthur William Winter Pte. 20020 S. Staffs Regt. attested 16/9/14 & discharged 20/7/16. Austin says he was discharged from the S. Staffs 20/9/16 after 2 years service. So it looks like Austin/Arthur enlisted twice under different names.
Can't see a medal card for Robert Winter KSLI so it looks like this man never went overseas.
Can't see a 1917/18 death registered for Robert Winter either.
Where did his death info come from?
There's a 1917 death for Austin W Winter aged 58 who is his father.
Winter  Austin W  58  Wolverhampton Dec. 1917 6b 544
Theory:
Austin the father enlists although he's over age under the name Robert & as he's a clerk in 1911 he's posted to the KSLI admin. Leicester.
Austin the son re-enlists & gives the KSLI as his preferred Regt. because his father is there.
Robert/Austin the father dies Dec. 1917 & is buried under his real name & that's why it's been written in on the grave details instead of typed like the others.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I death info came for this link, now documents now on Ancestry.  named as WINTERS http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=60506

It appears he did not serve overseas, no medal card for him. as you have found there is no record of him having died.

Yes, he did join up twice, both times he was discharged physically unfit.

regards
Alf

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I'd forgotten about that one.
I notice his NOK is Emily, same name as Austin Snr's. wife.
The theory's looking respectable but to be certain you will have to buy the death cert.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/