Author Topic: Wellingborough Grammar School. 1891  (Read 4257 times)

Offline skyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wellingborough Grammar School. 1891
« on: Sunday 18 January 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather is on the 1891 census as a boarder attending;

The Grammar School, Mill Road, Wellingborough. (RG12/1213;Folio72;page7)

Does anyone have any information about this school. I have looked online and until recently thought that it had developed into THE WELLINGBOROUGH GRAMMAR, but recent history of the school on their own website indicates that it moved to its current site in 1881, ten years prior to this census. Hopeful that some local knowledge maybe out there!
Richardson; Headley; Kingsland; Moore;
Brett; Whitmore; Miller; Gosling;
Smith; Holland
Carter; Rushton; Salt
Haberfield; Maggs; Marsh; Veale;
Chapple; Bond; Baker; Osborne.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Wellingborough Grammar School. 1891
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skyp.

Not sure if you have already viewed this site.

https://sites.google.com/site/wellingboroughhistory/

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 15 11:41 GMT (UK) »
skyp

Further to Sandy’s link (see The Free Grammar School), the Grammar School / Wellingborough School’s history through those years 1870-1900 was continuous. The London Rd site as we know it today was begun in 1881, however that building was in progress for many years and the school continued to use various sites around the town for both teaching and accommodation.

(Amended)
There are two block entries for the Grammar School in 1891 census ... about 20 boys, followed by some 70 boys along with Henry Platt Headmaster, both Mill Rd.
Kelly’s Directory for 1890 shows the Upper Grammar School, Head Henry Platt,  and the Third Grade School, Head William Winterton. Wm Winterton is living in Castle St.

Kelly's 1898 Directory shows The Grammar School, Head Henry Platt, and the Endowed Commercial School, Head William Winterton.

The book ‘Four Centuries - The History of Wellingborough School’ by Neil B Lyon is very short on history from this time, but it does explain the development from 1881.

Bryan

(will PM you)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 15 16:36 GMT (UK) »
A re-read of this puzzle ...

The 1898 Kelly's says that the Grammar School on London Rd was erected in 1880, and in 1888 an additional boarding house for 30 boys was built on adjoining land. The Endowed Commercial School was situated on the north side of the Churchyard (in the building of 1595).

The 1881 census shows Henry Platt Head with family and about 20 boarders at the new school building in London Rd (it's correctly next door to the Workhouse on the census). William Winterton is listed as Schoolmaster 3rd Grade and is living in Midland Rd.

Studying the 1891 census ... it's possible that the first group of boys plus a couple of masters and a matron was in fact the Endowed Commercial School re-housed in Mill Rd. However the second set of boys with Henry Platt ought to be in the London Road building. Somebody, not the enumerator, has added "Mill Rd" above "The Grammar School "on page 73/8, probably in error.

By 1901, The School had some 145 boarders who I assume were living on London Rd, and William Winterton was Head of the Parochial School at 19 Castle St.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline skyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bryan,
Mill Road is the connection that I was after. I knew the school had origins prior to locating to current site back in 1881, but exactly where was just eluding me! Internet is so handy for long distance research!

Also thank you Sandy for the link on Wellingborough history, which I am about to delve into.

Lyn
Smith; Holland
Carter; Rushton; Salt

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
In the first decade of the new London Rd building, the Third Grade pupils appear to have still been at the 1595 building in Church St.
The 1891 census shows no school there anymore, and the Third Grade school was in Mill Rd.
By 1901 it had become a Parochial School in Castle St, all the time under the same Head.
"In 1904 after a period of virtual disuse, the old Grammar School was re-opened - as the Church Hall." (Palmer - The History of Wellingborough)

I walked along Mill Rd yesterday and again today checking for the buildings, other than terraced houses, shown on the 1900 map. A couple of small buildings had gone beneath the new Hindu Temple, with the two shoe factories still there along with Victoria School (1895). The building at the corner of Strode Rd was on the map and looks as if originally it would have been suitable to house the pupils.
I contacted a local historian and asked about any possible buildings used as a school in Mill Rd, and he texted back, "On the near right corner of the first road that crosses Mill Rd as you come from the town [Strode Rd], there is an elevated building. I think it is above some sort of machine shop. It was used as a Sunday school for the Baptists many years ago. I once went in, and it was set out just like a classroom - under roof beams, etc."

So, is this the building that was used by the Third Grade .....

Can't add images to Lookup board  ???  So, go to Google maps, enter Mill Rd Wellingborough, and drag the little man to the junction of Mill Rd and Strode Rd. Turn till you see a long white building. Can't miss it  ;D

Offline skyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you have been busy Bryan. That looks quite a long road to take a walk? It is very interesting looking at the buildings via Google Maps.

The building on the corner of Mill/Strode Roads, occupied by Gilmore Vale Ltd has 1898 above the door. So it then begged the question, was there redevelopment after that 1891 census? So I took a look further along the road, where there is a school with Victoria Board Schools above the door and 1895.
Perhaps I will be purchasing a few books to find the answer as now my curiosity has taken me completely sideways into the history of the building once housing the Grammar School in Mill road!
But then, that is why we all get addicted to this wonderful hobby!
With thanks

Smith; Holland
Carter; Rushton; Salt

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
No, Lyn, wrong building. The 1898 shoe factory has the modern Gilmore & Vale sign on it. Your building is the long white one on the diagonally opposite corner.

Today's visit has made me look closely at it. "Dorman" and possibly "Carpenter & Joiner" are painted on the red brick end wall. The 1890 directory shows Henry Dorman builder at 2 Strode Rd, which would have been the correct address. Not there 1886.
So probably Dorman built his workshop as 2 storey, placed his woodworking machinery on the ground floor and boarded the upper floor for storage ... (?) and then was approached by the School to let it to them on a temporary basis for the Third Grade (?).

Have emailed you images of the Mill Rd building and of 19 Castle St to which the Third Grade moved before 1901.

Bryan