Author Topic: Records for Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield  (Read 7493 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Records for Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield
« on: Sunday 18 January 15 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there are any records relating to burials at Edgerton Cemetery in Huddersfield.

My maiden name is Dyson and I'm descended from Dysons in and around Huddersfield.  The parish records from West Yorkshire Archive Service on Ancestry have been incredibly useful for my research, but now I'm trying to deal with one of those stories handed down the generations, and I'm struggling to establish fact from fiction.

Family 'legend' has it that Wilson Townend (1838 - ??), the brother of my 2x great-grandmother, was buried in Huddersfield Cemetery, and the inscription around his grave reads: "... cabinet maker, who made the first coffin that went into Huddersfield Cemetery ... and maker of 2,000 coffins".  However, in my research, the Census records for Wilson Townend suggest that his occupations were in a variety of metal trades (e.g. iron forger) and nothing remotely connected to either undertaking or woodwork/coffin making.

However ... my 3x great-grandfather, Joseph Entwistle (1806-1871) was a joiner for much of his life (at least in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses), so perhaps he was the coffin-maker?  Could he have been the person who made the first coffin to go into Edgerton Cemetery (which I believe was 1855) and could he have made 2,000 coffins during his career?

I have tried to establish whether there is a full register of burials at Edgerton but so far have been unable to find anything.  Any enlightenment would be gratefully received! 

Many thanks, Jane
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 15 05:41 GMT (UK) »
First try this =A shot to nothing chance

Write to the head gardener at Edgerton Cemetery, Halifax road. Huddersfield

(send a SAE)

They have copies of the registers there and grave locations with maps.
~~~~~~~~------------
Next

The Huddersfield local studies Library has the Edgerton Cemetery 2 Registers on micro film

consecrated and non consecrated

http://www2.kirklees.gov.uk/communityDirectory/organisationdetails.aspx?orgid=3101

They do a free look up service on the phone for about 30 min, then charge after that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You will have to try to at least, find and refine any ancestors burial date down to an exact year and quarter of a year from the Free BMD GRO index register for them to search a 3 month period in the cemetery register.
As for the first coffin and its maker of the first burial at Edgerton cemetery-?. The library may be able to advise you.
~~~~~~~~-------------

Better still, purchase the ancestor's death certificate to give them a more exact date to work from.

Deaths Mar 1911  (Jan to March)

Wilson  Townsend aged 73 (Estimated birth year 1838)  Huddersfield Vol 9a Page-231 

Only if you take this route

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Or

Huddersfield (Kirklees) Register office

http://www2.kirklees.gov.uk/communityDirectory/organisationdetails.aspx?orgid=1268
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 15 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You are right, Edgerton Cemetery did open in 1855. The Huddersfield Local History library have the registers on micro film, the grave registers are with the Bereavement services and they charge a fee to give you the info on the grave.
I think you would have to try and find out which undertaker did the first burial and see if they still exist and see if they still have any record going back that far.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I would go with Joseph Entwistle. The Huddersfield Chronicle on September 16, 1854 & March 17, 1855 mentions a Joseph Entwistle who was the supplier of coffins to the Huddersfield board of guardians so it would seem very likely that his coffins would have been used in the new cemetery.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 January 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Many of thanks for all the assistance!  Getting some local knowledge always helps, whether it's regarding geography, sources or other connections that I would otherwise would battle with for ages. 

Stu's information, in particular, I'm grateful for, since this gives me the link from the Census records saying 'joiner' to evidence that he actually made coffins.  The other part of the story handed down the generations says that this ancestor always kept a coffin under his bed ... apparently he wasn't prepared to be buried in one anyone else had made!  Whether this is true or not doesn't matter, but it looks like Joseph Entwistle was my coffin-maker.

Looks like I've just added to my list of jobs for the weekend.

Regards, Jane
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 02:19 GMT (UK) »
A definite date to work from (find Mary's grave finds Joseph)

The Huddersfield Chronicle Sat 11th July 1868
Deaths

6th inst aged 53, (6th July 1868) Mary wife of Joseph Entwistle Joiner Zetland street.

No doubt Joseph will be in the same grave as Mary and her grave location details the same
~~~~~~~~---------------------------
There is no mention of Joseph's death Jan to March qtr 1871 in the above newspaper

------------------------------------------------

For the price of a couple of stamps (one for SAE on a at least A4 envelope size)-I would still try writing to the Head Garden at the Edgerton cemetery first . (He found me a few grave locations) then try the Library, then if no luck with above options at £30 search fee - as link

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/community/registrars/pdf/grave_search_details.pdf

If you find the grave location number or X - Y ref grave map consecrated and non consecrated
 location in the cemetery  -I'll soon zap a few photo's of it for you  when the weather improves.

Best of luck

Dobby   :)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Cannot see Joseph in burial index but the consecrated only goes up to 1867 so I would assume he is in the consecrated section.
I drew a cemetery map it is on my computer somewhere, it was on the old Kirkheaton online parish website if you want a copy just contact me and will email it to you.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Dobby - I'll take you up on your kind offer should I find details through the routes suggested above.  Obviously when the weather is better!!!

John - I'll drop you a PM with my email address, as the cemetery map would be most useful.

As has already been pointed out, Joseph's wife Mary died in July 1868.  Sorry I didn't mention earlier that Joseph himself died in 1871 Q1 - I always seem to post on here via mobile or iPad, not from my laptop where my tree is actually saved.  While it is logical that they would be buried together, my only seed of doubt is that Mary was Joseph's third wife and not the mother of his children.  This might have made no difference, but I mention it for completeness if nothing else.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Nothing is certain in ancestry, it is possible that Joseph is buried with any of his wives (or wife's [ grammar not my best subject]) and that could lead to Joseph being buried elsewhere in a churchyard. with one of the ladies who could have died before 1855. If what you say is true about what is written on his headstone in the cemetery, then its most likely he's with Mary who died only 3  years earlier on 1868.

I would shelf your request for a month or more, till its really better warmer weather or less chance of the white stuff returning and I'll go to the cemetery or library or Kirklees office as it cost me nothing to search ! as I only venture out to locals shops in the snow (about 3" of the stuff outside up here) if really needed.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=602468.0

Dobby