Author Topic: Rotuli Chartham [Extracts]  (Read 530 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rotuli Chartham [Extracts]
« on: Monday 19 January 15 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to help me with a translation of the attached extract found in a book in the library at the National Archives in London. The text is from a publication called "Rotuli Chartham........" (I forgot the last part of the title).

Also does anyone know what language or type of writing this is in? I am assuming that it is some sort of Latin.

I have several of these but I will only post one now and I will post others if someone is able to let me know what this says.

Many Thanks
Matthew

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rotuli Chartham [Extracts]
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to help me with a translation of the attached extract found in a book in the library at the National Archives in London. The text is from a publication called "Rotuli Chartham........" (I forgot the last part of the title).

It's from T. D. Hardy’s Rotuli chartarum in Turri Londinensi asservati (= Charter Rolls kept in the Tower of London), published 1837.

Also does anyone know what language or type of writing this is in? I am assuming that it is some sort of Latin.

It’s in ‘Record Type’, a form of Latin that was standard in printed books of the 19th century to show the abbreviations/contractions appearing in the original manuscripts. See Trice Martin’s Record Interpreter, linked as a resource at the top of this board.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=582221.msg5040563#msg5040563

I have several of these but I will only post one now and I will post others if someone is able to let me know what this says.

It’s a royal charter issued by King John at Rouen on 30 July 1199 (the first year of his reign). He is confirming to Peter des Roches* the right to appoint prebendaries at the church of Loch'(?). This right of appointment had been in Peter’s gift under the previous King (John’s brother, Richard I). It will remain in Peter’s gift until his death, and will then revert to the Crown. Witnesses include Robert of Thornham.
     * Peter was Bishop of Winchester, etc.

(Unfortunately, I don’t have time to do your other extracts now because of pressure of my own work, sorry. But someone else might ... or you might want to consider joining the Gen-Medieval group, which is active and very helpful - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~medieval/index.htm)