Author Topic: St Aldates PR FORSTER/COLLCUTT  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Aldates PR FORSTER/COLLCUTT
« on: Monday 19 January 15 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for the marriage record of William Forster to Elizabeth Collcutt, marriage date, 06-01-1794, St Aldates parish church. Hoping any details would provide the parents names?? William's occupation was a Livery stable keeper if this helps? They had 3 children that I know of, William, Catherine & Sarah. (I Can't find any Baptism records for these either??) Hit a brick wall.
Thank you.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: St Aldates PR FORSTER/COLLCUTT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mandy
Welcome to Roots Chat - I am certain you will find so many people in here just waiting to help you so enjoy!

In that same context I have found this marriage in St Aldates transcribed parish records within the Oxfordshire Family History Society CD OXF -OX01

5 Jan 1794 FORSTER William of St Mary the Virgin Parish, Oxford to COLLCUTT Elizabeth o.t.p
Wit: James COLLCUTT John COLLCUTT   Marriage by Lic

It is likely that if you ask here :

Oxfordshire Record Office, St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2HT
     Telephone    (01865) 398200
     E-Mail    archives@oxfordshire.gov.uk

they may have a copy of that license in their archives which will give more information to you.

Hope this helps

NDRFT

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 12:39 GMT (UK) »
and baptisms from the same CD so if you have loads of family in this area you may benefit from buying a copy of the CD from the OFHS, they do a postal service to where ever you are.

St Aldates Church
  17 Nov 1795 Catherine d William and Elizabeth FOSTER = a probable error, should be FORSTER
  5 April 1798 Sarah d of William and Elizabeth
  8 Oct 1802 Elizabeth d of  William and Elizabeth

That's all the baptisms I can see in St Aldates

NDRFT

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 15 12:44 GMT (UK) »
There is another entry that seems relevant to your search  in St Aldates

Burial
26 May 1803 FORSTER Elizabeth d o William and Elizabeth

Thats all for now

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, thanks NDRFT, that certainly does help, that's the correct marriage. I will contact the Oxford Record Office and enquire about the license as you suggested, and I have also purchased the said CD. The Baptisms you found were the children of Elizabeth and William. There was another child, William, (so many Williams!!), but he was born in the Parish of St Mary, Oxford, so was probably Baptised there? This William, born around 1796, went on to marry a Louisa ? born around 1806 and states St Thomas, Oxford on the 1841 Census as where born. This couple went on to have seven children, one of them Samuel born 1843, being my Husbands Great Grandfather. I am hoping the children's Baptism's will appear on the CD that I have ordered as most of them were born in the Parish of St Aldate's. (1 in St Thomas, Edwin & James in St Giles who I have the Baptism record for).
Thank you for brightening up my day in gloomy rainy Devon, I shall now try to trace the marriage of William & Louisa . :) Thinking I may have to buy another CD!!
 Kind regards, Mandy

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 January 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mandy

I shall not dare offer info in here that you will find on the CD - exciting just waiting for it to arrive isn't it? I love this Family History - what a hobby!!

I can tell you about Williams baptism as that is on CD OXF - OX03 and in there for St Marys The Virgin Church, Oxford (I used to be in that church choir - now that does take me back a long way!!!) is his baptism on 15 June 1794 and he was born on 11 June that same year.

Let me know if I can help at all

T ra

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 January 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Nigel you are a star  ;), thank you for that info, another mystery solved. I think this is going to become my main hobby too, it's like being a detective!!  I love it. Now, I don't suppose you know anything about the marriage of this William and Louisa ?, don't know her maiden name. She was born Oxford, St Thomas around 1806. Would I be right to presume that couples got married in the women's Parish church? If so, the marriage may appear on the St Thomas Cd ? ( I haven't ordered this one as yet ???). The first child Elizabeth was born about 1829 so would I be right to think the marriage would have been the previous year? (They seemed to have children pretty quick in those days!!) I have trawled through the online archives all afternoon and come up with nothing. The search continues.....
Thank you again for your valued information.
Kindest regards, Mandy

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 15 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, also wanted to ask you if you knew what or where the 'Johnsons Buildings', St Aldates were? They appeared to house a lot of people? Can't find them on an old map I have.
Thanks.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Mandy
I can see the marriage and the maiden name of the bride regarding the marriage - patience is needed - wait till the disc arrives else I shall spoil your order!!!!

Most often they married in the wife's parish but then the couple may leave there back to the husbands parish to live. The wife may well return to have her 1st born back with her Mum. Sometimes though the groom may have traveled to follow work so he married where the bride was. Children were often at work by the age of 11 or 12 and sending money home to help support the family.

Don't get too complicated with permutations - open your mind and consider feasible alternatives to look for solutions - bit like that lateral thinking. Remember there were so many social difference in years past and yes children were quite numerous - contraception - ahhhh - nope so they were plentiful and I have some families where 12 - 17 children were evident.

Johnsons building was somewhere around Pembroke Square - but I am not 100% on that Mandy.

T ra
Nigel

P.S - oh yes - patience!!!!
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,