Author Topic: St Aldates PR FORSTER/COLLCUTT  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Aldates PR FORSTER/COLLCUTT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 January 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Nigel, Hoping it's on the St Aldates Cd as I haven't ordered the St Thomas One!! Should be lots of other Forster's/Fosters on there anyway as the family were quite large. Looking forward to it's arrival, fingers crossed it doesn't take the two weeks stated on the order to be delivered, the suspense is agonising. Couldn't you just give me a small CLUE, go on, I know you want too. Louisa's surname maybe???? Patience I have, time I don't, lots of relatives to find....
Kindest Regards, Mandy

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 January 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Im sat here grinning away because I can 'feel' your lack of patience!!!!!!

If you really want the name I can tell but wont that defeat the object of buying the CD - I simply and really it is that simple do not want to spoil your fun of finding the answer yourself --

SO if you want to know tell then I shall pass on the answer
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Nigel I'm glad your smiling, life is much more pleasant with smiley people around, I'm sat here smiling too at your response. YES, I would like the answer then I can research a little more before the Cd arrives, then when it does find it's way to sleepy Devon, I shall open it with glee and hopefully find all my other relatives from the St Aldates area. (Also I'm on a deadline to present a Forster family tree to my Auntie for her 70th birthday on the 31st Jan). No pressure!!
Promising to be patient from now on ;D

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Yeah right that's such a good story and blow me what a deadline and such a coincidence !!!

It is:

Louisa COX - they were married at St Aldates Church on 6 Jan 1828 after Banns.
Wits; William Grimmett and Sarah Forster

Hope that keeps your smile going a bit longer - looks nice

T ra

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Smiling even more now, that ties in nicely. Sarah Forster was William's sister and William Grimmett was his other sister Catherine's husband.
Your a star Nigel thank you very much, now I will patiently wait for my Cd.
Keep smiling,
Mandy

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Mandy

You are very welcome - I shall expect a pint the next time I am at Hartland
Give me a shout if you need more info to keep you going with this all consuming hobby.

T ra for now
Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 January 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel, I'm back again!! Well the Cd arrived today, much quicker than anticipated. I have spent the afternoon extracting the information that I needed and it was very interesting, I have learnt lots about my relatives! Unfortunately I have now drawn a blank on  'William Forster' born around 1774, lived in the parish of St Mary the Virgin, his wife was Elizabeth Collcutt , married at St Aldates, 05-01-1794. You kindly gave me this marriage info. I wondered if you could have a look on your Cd for his baptism? I'm hoping for the parents names! (My Cd doesn't cover this parish). Also, Louisa Cox, born about 1806, St Thomas parish. Again I'm hoping for the parents names? I don't know if it's worth the expense of buying another Cd with the different parishes on, although to go any further back with these I suppose that Parish records are the only way, or you being much more experienced on these matters do you have any suggestions of where to research. I have subscribed to the Ancestry website which is good for census records but anything dated before these records began is a bit hit and miss! Anyway, look forward to your reply and yes you've definitely earned a pint or two if ever your in my area.
Kind regards, Mandy

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 January 15 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are 7 CD's which cover Oxford, 4 for the city parishes and then 3 for most of what are now the primary suburbs and in the past separated villages.

Now in your case and many others where they got married is not indicative of birth place and at the time that theses two did get married the detail in most PR's and indeed in the PR's for St Mary The Virgin is scant.

They could have come from anywhere is what I am saying. That means to find his / their baptism is a real needle job.

Have a look at the OFHS web site and send them an e mail because I know they were creating a searchable by them only at the moment, baptism index for Oxfordshire, and for a small fee circa £5 - I think- they will see if William is on there.

Then we can start again by looking at those records for that elusive step back.

There may be other records to search but this is becoming a classic process of elimination case rather than a striaght forward search.  Sometimes Mand those cases just stop = brick wall !!

I am a prolifick user of Ancestry - other types are available - and whilst it has its failings - so do others and there is alot to read on here and elsewhere about any FH software so be aware of a wide range of opinions and make your own mind up.

When searching on there use the card index and search individual categories of records - sometimes their search engine fails to produce results and the info is there just too many ambiguities.
Also use the basis that less is sometimes better when loading search pages, means you might get more to search through but you do get the option to look.

Also use lateral thinking - try and find clues to siblings identities and search them - you are gonna need their info sooner or later and you may find a person listed as brother in law or grand parent or mother in law and stumble across all sorts of info - am I teaching you to suck eggs here???

Don't forget that when records were written the terminology was interpreted so differently e.g

1. Single man marries a Widow with a child today the child would be a step son, oftenin these records you are looking at the child will be recorded as son or daughter in law - not what we understand the term to be now a days and it can trip you over.
2. The same as when you have an idea about a parent and then they are listed as alodger - perhaps they are the parent of the wife rather than a lodger but the recorder failed to use the term mother in law or what ever and confusion reignsssssssss!!!!!!!

So many trips and falls - check it all be open minded.

Now I am off to Oxford today so shall have a quick look at St Marys to see if William was baptised there - if I reply he was if there is nowt from me till later then he wasnt found

Have a good day more later

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT