Author Topic: Mary Robb - Whose the parents?  (Read 28214 times)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Robb - Whose the parents?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 22:04 BST (UK) »
Do you realise,,,
That I believe there are more errors, than correct. when it comes to deaths, that are informed by grandchildren and neighbours.

You think about it.........
the registrar says who was the deceased's parents. and granddaughter never knew them, grandma never said on her death bed.....when you go and register my death..... don't
forget who my parents were......because.....they died 60 yrs ago...
We won't know why the neighbour said what they said.
But in no way can you see it true?
see if you can ignore everything you know now, and workas if it were true ,,,,,,,,,the burnie part and see if it works.
if it is impossible go back to what is correct and ignore the birnie part..
what do you think.
or do I talk a load of jibberish twoddle.
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hya

I've taken a look at the birnie side of things and they don't pan out. It does bug me though! Maybe she found out later in life that Mary was her real mother, I doubt it. If Mary Robb can lie on her son/s marriage certificate then I think that she is very good at telling stories.
I have another theory! Maybe she found out that her father Archibald Robb married Mary Birnie.  Maybe he was just a young boy when he got Ann pregnant, perhaps below the legal age of consent? It happens! To save any awkward questions Mary Robb just let people think they were her parents. Oh how I wish I had a time machine!

I wonder why ?
When Mary got married she put her age up 7 yrs?(is that right)?
How old was George Benzies

George Gordon Benzies was a pensioner a Chelsea one at that. He served in the 92 Foot Regiment for 20 years. He was pensioned out in 1841 aged 40.  I think that Mary latched on to the thought of a regular income in the way of his pension, plus the fact that he was a crofter. She was very obliging to George, she bore him 4 daughters. LOL
He was 59 when he married Mary Robb.
Mind you I will have to scan you a copy of his death certificate. There is so much writing on it, it is barely legible. He died a bloody awful death and I mean that literally! I did wonder at one point if Mary had done him in. Poisoning, drowning, it's got the lot.
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
Oh! I can hardly wait!!!! ;D
Post the cert on here. so the girls (they know who they are)can have a gander as well.
How exciting.
I really don't mean to be rude. maybe i need to be struck by lightning.

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 22:48 BST (UK) »
how do I do that? Talk me through it
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
OK.
scan your cert. then use a program like urfranview?
and save just what is required. save to your desk top. and be sure you know the name. save as JPG. (one thing I forgot to mention,  make it smaller than 300kg)

come to this posting and reply ..... under the window you type in, click on the additional options in red....
it will open up and where it says attach
there is an empty space and next to that is a grey box with Browse click on the browse button.
and search for the saved cert on your desktop.
click on it, and then , open. and the name will appear, in the attach box.  and then  Post.
and then your away.

Be very patient............ and then it will appear slowly....
if an error occurs, the file may be too big.
tell if so , and I will tell you haow to check if it is too big..
I will be away all day now. so hopefully when I come back, it will be there.
Good luck.
kenjo ;)

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
When Mary married George Benzies she already had an illegitimate child William Willox Robb (2x g/grandfather) born 1859. On his marriage certificate to Ann Williamson it states that she had been married to Williams father, I know this to be not true, and his name was Robert Smith.

I would doubt if Mary actually stated herself, on William's marriage certificate, that she had been married to Robert Smith.  It's more likely to have been a mistake on the part of the registrar, an assumption?  Registrars copied marriage certificates, they were not filled in by parties involved.  Hope I have got that right here!!! ;D

Going back to the 1841 census for Strichen - Jaffrey family.  Could this be their marriage:

Robert Jaffrey and Mary George
13th August, 1812
Strichen. 

Not going to help, but wondered if you had seen this.   

I would go with Kenjo's explanations for Mary and Ann's death certificates.  By the time it came to death, informants probably didn't know who parents were.  Having said that, it could have been the Alexander Robb who married Mary Birnie, who was your Mary's father. 
One thing, if you got those records from ScotlandsPeople, there will be two marriages and three deaths (usually) on the page.  Check every surname to see if any mistakes have been made.  Seen it happen ::)

Not much help, sorry.    Dorothy

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hya Kenjo

Here is the death certificate for George Gordon Benzies. I hope there is someone out there who can decifer exactly what it says.
Gen10

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
George Gordon Benzies
retired crofter and pensioner
married to Mary Robb

he died 15th October

cause of death looks like - loss of blood from wound on left from no doubt..........aided by drowning

then I'm lost, sorry

Ysabeau

What does the writing by the number 26 mean
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 18:11 BST (UK) »
Gen10, sorry can't do any better than ysabea.  There's a RCE on this cert.  If you order a copy from GRO/ScotlandsPeople, then the information should be on the back of the certificate.  Not always, but possible.  RCEs should be coming online sometime........?????