Author Topic: Date for unknown men on tintype? U.S.  (Read 2713 times)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Date for unknown men on tintype? U.S.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Are the hanging ropework shelves present in both images a dateable element? I'm thinking here something that was in vogue during one decade but not later. I appreciate that dates the backdrop/furnishings rather than the photo. Don't recall noticing them much in other photos.

S_L

Offline dansdottir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bixby surname project co-adminstrator, FTDNA
    • View Profile
Re: Date for unknown men on tintype? U.S.
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 January 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any Russian or Eastern European ancestry, but then, I don't know that these men are relatives.  The tintype was in a box in  my uncle's garage along with other small items from his parents and his aunt.  The second photo -- of my great-grandfather -- was also in the box.  There was also another tintype which I posted here for dating a month or so ago, but which didn't share the same style of backdrop as these two do.  It was also of my great-grandfather and three other people.  I wonder how expensive tintypes were to have made or copied.  If it was an expensive process, it seems this tintype of the two men must have mattered to someone in my family.  But I guess they could have just been friends, not relatives.
Bixby[England], Washburn[England], Coffman[Ireland], Hazlett[Ireland, Scotland], Irwin[Ireland], Coughlin[Ireland], Fitzgerald[Ireland], Heavilon[England], Kile[England], James[Wales], Phillips[Wales], McKee[Scotland]