Author Topic: Date for unknown men on tintype? U.S.  (Read 2710 times)

Offline dansdottir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bixby surname project co-adminstrator, FTDNA
    • View Profile
Re: Date for unknown men on tintype? U.S.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I find it interesting, too.  Why did these men choose to sit for their picture while wearing their coats and hats?  The backdrop art looks to be in a similar fashion to another photo I have of my gg grandfather, so I wonder if it's the same studio.  But my gg grandfather's pic is in photo form, not a tintype, and he's looking dapper in a nice suit, not wearing outerwear.
Bixby[England], Washburn[England], Coffman[Ireland], Hazlett[Ireland, Scotland], Irwin[Ireland], Coughlin[Ireland], Fitzgerald[Ireland], Heavilon[England], Kile[England], James[Wales], Phillips[Wales], McKee[Scotland]

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I've not got the dating skill you need, just watching this one with interest.  Wondered whether they might be fairly recent immigrants, something about the style of clothes? 

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline dansdottir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Drosybont,

Yeah, I'm no expert, so it's a layman's guess, but don't the hats look somehow Russian?
Bixby[England], Washburn[England], Coffman[Ireland], Hazlett[Ireland, Scotland], Irwin[Ireland], Coughlin[Ireland], Fitzgerald[Ireland], Heavilon[England], Kile[England], James[Wales], Phillips[Wales], McKee[Scotland]

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Well, not much to date I'm afraid...men's fashion didn't change quickly but there are a few things to look for and I don't see any of them in this photo. Also, other clues we look for such as frame/backing, photographer's stamp, and tone are also missing because it's a tintype.

Another problem is that these men don't look western European so their clothing styles could be quite different from what was the norm in England and North America.

About the only thing I can say about this is that the style of the handpainted backdrop has an 1890s look to it, and that as this is a tintype the image is reversed. It will also be a unique image in that it is the actual negative, treated so it appears positive.

Sorry I can't give you much. Try pinging jim1, he's better at men's clothes.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline dansdottir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Chinakay,

Thanks a lot!  I had a feeling it might be tricky to date.  The clothes just look so ... generic, somehow.  And, yeah, there's not a lot else -- no frame, studio name, nothing on the back.  I think the style of backdrop looks really similar to this photo from the same side of the family, but it isn't dated, either, so.  At least I know who it is -- my gg grandfather, which might indicate the tintype was also from Ohio or Indiana, since that's the area my gg grandfather lived in at the time that tintypes were a thing.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 January 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Drosybont,

Yeah, I'm no expert, so it's a layman's guess, but don't the hats look somehow Russian?

That was my first impression too.  I think Droysbont is on to something.
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 January 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the photo again, they seriously look like they have just stepped off the boat.  Both are sitting their with a bemused expression, taking it all in.  Maybe their American cousin or sponsor decided to get a photo taken to commemorate their arrival!  Sorry, vivid imagination, but if I had to write a story about that photo, that would be it!  ;D ;D

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
My first impression was that they were Russian too....I didn't like to say as no-one else appeared to think so....and the poster had said it was U.S. Having said that...I have Canadian rellies who wore those type of hats.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I think their features are Eastern European, but who knows.

Caz