Author Topic: Isabella Jane Macleod born 1878 Inverness Scotland  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Feefers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Jane Macleod born 1878 Inverness Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 23 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I have done a fair amount of research into Isabella Jane Mcleod (my Great Grandmother) and the work is still on-going. I think she covered her tracks in some ways as Elisabeth Jane (my granny) was born illegitimate in The Poor House in Inverness. We always knew Isabella as "Granny Logie" and yes she lived in Tap Lane. It seems she gave my granny to neighbours at one point as my granny is shown on the 1901 census as "adopted daughter" of a couple named Johnstone -  Isabella married James Logie in 1901. I believe he was my grannys father.  My granny married Donald Fraser and had a number of children but he died young. The children who survived were: my aunties - Jess, Izie (Isabella?) and Ina (Georgina or Willomina?).  She also had a son, Donald who died as a child we believe from Spina Bifida as she used to say, he had a hole in his back and you could see his spine She later met my Grandad Alexander Watt Bowie - they had John (Jock), Alexander (Sandy), Margaret, Charles (Charlie), Elisabeth (Bunty) and my mum Christina. Only my mum is still alive but I do have loads of cousins!! Had all my grannys children all lived there would have been 18 or 19 of them!!   My granny was tiny - about 4'10 and her mum was even smaller - (she died the year I was born).  Ignore the headstone at Tomnahurich - no idea what was going on with that? Bowie was my grannys name not my great granny.  I think the stone mason must have been a bit drunk!   My granny was a little woman with a big heart and I adored her an my grandad.  I hope this helps.