Author Topic: muster roll look up request please !  (Read 2572 times)

Offline butlersearch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
muster roll look up request please !
« on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am wondering if anyone going to Kew can check muster roll for 83rd regiment of foot.

Thomas Butler born 1835 in Mayo marries in Northampton 21 St September 1865 to Hannah Hall and states he is a private in the 83rd regiment of foot.

I am hoping he is the only Thomas Butler and that time.

I think his army number is 157 although he also served previously in the 88th army number 4102.

His service began in 1856 and ended in 1867, the first 2 years were with the 88th.

I hope I have supplied enough info and would be grateful for any help

Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: muster roll look up request please !
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
What information are you looking for? I presume you've not been able to find his service record? Or is this where you have found his service number & previous service with the 88th?

If it is exactly where he was during each pay period, as far as I know the pay lists at Kew are in 3 month periods for each part of the regiment [they may not have al been in the same place as there may have been battalions abroad with some left as a depot].

BTW it can be a nightmare looking at records at Kew  :( it can take up to an hour for a record to be brought up when they are busy, then when you have finished with it it take some time for it to be scanned as returned before you can order up another record. You are only allowed a few out at a time.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline butlersearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the reply , I do not have service record only pension details, I am really trying to establish if the pension records I have are for my Thomas Butler I thought the muster roll would narrow this down for me , but reading your post I see it is a lot more complicated.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I've located the service record for the Thomas Butler you detail; pm me your email address & I will send it to you. Then you can decide if he is 'your' Thomas Butler.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
The pension record you have may be what is left of his 'service record'. Surviving service records came from the pension departments. You should say where you got it from or post the WO reference.

One muster lookup will tell you very little

Ken

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
You're right of course, the record I found was WO97-2431-061, 6 pages. I only called it the 'service record' because I don't know the correct term  :-[

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
As you have FindMyPast you can check the 1861 Index for men with the same name.

Ken

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
BTW it can be a nightmare looking at records at Kew  :( it can take up to an hour for a record to be brought up when they are busy, then when you have finished with it it take some time for it to be scanned as returned before you can order up another record. You are only allowed a few out at a time.

I haven't found this much of a problem - you can order 3 documents at a time.  As soon as they arrive you can order 3 more which usually arrive before I am finished with the first 3.

I don't get anything scanned - being a cheapskate I simply photograph whatever I want using my camera on one of the many camera stands. Takes very little time to take as many photos as I need.

The only time I found the delivery times constraining was when searching Excise Officer ledgers - when it only took a few seconds to check the index and find the chap I was looking for was not there.  I solved this by ordering something else that would take time to absorb, photograph etc and nipping out to check the Excise books and order more every half hour or so.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I've been on 2 particularly busy days, or when the archivists were shortstaffed!! I see your point about planning your order sequence. I was looking at regimental pay lists which, like your Excise Officer ledgers, can be assessed very quickly.

Wouldn't it be lovely if we had the run of the basement like they seem to in WDYTYA?