Author Topic: Location of grave  (Read 5581 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of grave
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »
And it seems they may have travelled a lot! Hence difficulty in seeing her on later census!

Probate index entry :
JUne 1889 THe Will of William Newcombe Nicholson late of Balrath Burry in the county of Meath in Ireland Esquire died 7 Dec 1888 in Palermo Italy was proved by Amabel MArgaretta Nicholson of 29 Stanhope Gardens Queens GAte, widow the relict one of the executors. Former grant proved April 1889
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
And Amabel died in 1891 - in London (another Probate index entry but I wont type it all out)

So who did Ann work for then, or was she, at age 56, provided for in her old age by a legacy from Reginald, William Nicholson, or Amabel Nicholson?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Hilary Calvert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I searched two churchyards in Great Marlow today but with no success. I am new to this. Is there a way of finding burials rather than deaths?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
First you need to know where she died, before you can think about where she was buried!
And I only found the two possible deaths in 1905, Crediton Reg District and Eton Reg District, though the latter was not so close age-wise.
So I was looking at her life, hoping to find at least where she was living in 1901 census. But as I researched, I found that the "employers" mentioned on her tombstone were all deceased by then!
Maybe they left her a legacy and she bought a cottage in Devon? Maybe she moved to the Eton area? All sorts of possibilities.

What is the source of the Memorial inscription that you have? Andof the date of death?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Hilary Calvert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am unusual in that my research is into the graves themselves. Ann Fry's grave marker was made of terracotta at the Compton Pottery and is pictured with the inscription I quoted in the Pottery Gazette magazine for Feb. 1912. I am writing a book and trying to locate all the terracotta graves I can find. They are very durable and the inscriptions last better than on everything except granite. Eton is not so far from Farnham Royal where she was born. Is there a county list of burials I can consult or are they just records of individual churches?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
How interesting!

One thinks that the Cocks/Nicholson family maybe paid for such a headstone, or made it possible. As merely a servant Ann would probably (though we cannot assume) have stretched to such a lovely tombstone.

Burial records will be under individual Parish records, for those buried in Churchyards. Once churchyards were full and municipal cemeteries were used, then records are often with the cemetery or with the appropriate council.

The question still remains - where did Ann go after Reginald Cocks and Amabel Richardson died? and from there, where did she die?

You could get the death cert for the Crediton death, but will be hard to tell from it if it is "your" Ann or not, as we do not know who she was living with so who would be a likely informant. Likewise the Eton one.

I wouls be tempted to get a copy of Amabels Will myself, just to see if she left a legacy to her dear servant and friend, Ann Fry, and if it gives any more info about her. But I am approaching from a Family Historian point of view, rather than an interest in the headstone! However, I think to find where the headstone is, you do need to find where Ann was when she died, and so the two are very closely linked!

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Aha - a bit more info that might help.
The Ann Fry that died in Buckinghamshire in 1905 left a Will. And her Probate index entry does confirm she lived in Farnham Royal (where you say yours was born) and also that she was a spinster. So two pieces of circumstancial evidence to add weight to the Eton death being the right one.

Here is that entry-
Ann Fry of 3 Fulmer Villas Farnham Royal Buckinghamshire spinster  died 12 Aug 1905 Probate London to George ALbert Fry stoker Effects £493 - 13s 7d

So - first place to check would be Parish Registers for burials Farnham Royal?
I haven't checked familysearch.org - that might be worth a look.
 Or contact the Church - http://farnhamroyalchurches.org.uk/st-marys-farnham-royal/
Or to change your title asking for a look up for Farnham Royal, then if anyone has access to the records they will pick it up.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex