Author Topic: Help needed to identify the Regiment in this possibly WWI photo please.  (Read 3751 times)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
Help needed to identify the Regiment in this possibly WWI photo please.
« on: Wednesday 28 January 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been given the attached photo recently and I know it's a family related one but I'm unsure of which family member it relates to. Quite a few family members served in WWI and it could be related to any of them. Four of those who served have War Graves. The likeliest candidates are:

William John Evans 1896-1917 16th Battalion, Welsh Regiment
Philip Clifford 1879 - 1914 South Wales Borderers
Thomas Charles Clifford 1875 -1926 Army Service Corps
David Clifford 1877 - 1920 South Wales Borderers then Northumberland Fusiliers
Robert Frank Banks 1893 - 1916 Royal Sussex Regiment
Charles Albert Banks 1888 - 1950 Royal Artillery

Any help will be very gratefully received

Thank you

Helen
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify the Regiment in this possibly WWI photo please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I'd say it's the Welsh Regiment.

Adrian

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I would say there are two cap badges throughout the pic,  fusiliers badges and POW feathers.

certainly the corporal at the front has a fusilier badge and the soldier in shirt at the stair rail as well.

James

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, definitely two fusilier badges within the group.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 January 15 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The badges with the Welsh feathers are for the 7th Battalion the Cyclists.

http://www.royalwelsh.org.uk/downloads/E03-05-WelshR-WW1-7thBattalionTF.pdf

They were unique in wearing the blackened badges and buttons.  The webbing pouches are not the usual 1908 webbing but leather tones worn by the Territorials.

the tunics appear be  to the 1915 economy ones.

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
A fine body of Men

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies and the information. I was wondering if evidence was pointing towards my Grandfather after all, David Clifford, who was in the Northumberland Fusiliers in WWII and served in Mespots for most of that service. I've still got to decipher and interpret his military records which I found last year. However, I after reading about the Welsh Cyclists, I'm pretty certain the photo includes my Great Uncle, William (Billy) John Evans. I know his active service was in the Welsh Regiment, until his death:

Ypres, Belgium
'Buried in War Grave: EVANS, WILLIAM JOHN Rank: Private Service No: 56536 Date of Death: 27/08/1917 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment 16th Bn. Grave Reference XXXIV. B. 15. Cemetery POELCAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY' [CWGC Accessed online ]]

On the 15th January, so very recently, I had the following information from LLaneshen Local History Society, to whom I am indebted for their help regarding Uncle Billy's early service:

'W.J.Evans is listed in the Parish Magazine among the men from the Parish who were in the Armed Forces in 1915 and 1916 as a Private in the 7th Welsh Cyclists Corp.'

I had been trying to find out if Uncle Billy was missing from the Llaneshen War Memorial but the family moved to a different district at some point, as his parents address, at the time of his death, is  52 Cathays Terrace in 1917 which is not too far away but they told me that is in Cathays Parish, part of Llandaff Diocese. So I now need to try and find out if there is a War Memorial for that area.

I'm going to post another, smaller group, photo including Gt Uncle Billy, as I would really welcome any suggestions as to which of the soldiers in the group photo could be him. I have an idea but would appreciate objective opinions. Gt Uncle Billy is far right, 2nd row. I only acquired this photo recently and it is what made me question which regiment was in the larger group photo.

Thank you all again and I will respond individually too. I ought to confess that I had though, for some years, that it was a photo of my father's regiment, the South Wales Borderers, which he served in from the late 20's for 7 years, and then again in WWII, before transferring to the Royal Engineers. My father served throughout WWII and was never the same after it, like many who served in both World Wars and far too many other conflicts, before and since. I am very aware of what they all did for us. At least, as aware as a civilian, born in the 1950s, can be.

Thank you

Helen

Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'd say it's the Welsh Regiment.

Adrian

Thank you Adrian and it does look like there may be more than one regiment featured. Thank you for looking.

Helen

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 January 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I would say there are two cap badges throughout the pic,  fusiliers badges and POW feathers.

certainly the corporal at the front has a fusilier badge and the soldier in shirt at the stair rail as well.

James

Thank you James. I hadn't realized there might be more than one regiment represented. I wonder where the photo was taken? I'm thinking probably in Wales, after being told of the Welsh Cyclists.

I appreciate your taking the time to scan through the photo and give your thoughts.

Helen