Author Topic: missing Butlin Family  (Read 2959 times)

Offline stacey26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
missing Butlin Family
« on: Monday 04 July 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am new to this chat room but I am hoping someone will be able to help. I have a Butlin family which is causing me so much frustration, I have a John Butlin who married a Frances Maria Westbrook 20/10/1828 in Portsmouth, Hampshire. According to John's naval records he was born c1797 Hollowell, Northamptonshire. They have a son, my 3x great grandfather Albert John Butlin born c1840 on the 1851 census he says he was born Portsmouth, and is living with his mother, 1861 census he says he was born Northamptonshire, 1871 census he says he was born Portsmouth, Hampshire. I can't find a birth entry for him or a death entry but I know his wife Eliza nee Olding has remarried as a widow in 1880.

Back to John & Frances if they married in 1828 surely there would be a few more children even if he was at sea, 12 years seems to be rather a long time before a first child is born.

Maybe John ran off with someone else, does anyone have a John Butlin born around this time in Hollowell that was in the Royal Marines Artillery or stated as a Seaman R.N. John came out of naval service 1848 and then dissappears, Frances is on 1851 census then she dissappears, Alfred is on 1871 census and then he's gone too.

I really hope some of these names may ring a bell with someone before my computer gets launched out of the window in frustration.

Thanks
Stacey