Author Topic: Transcription Help & Some Advice/thoughts - Manley London  (Read 3636 times)

Offline mhearn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transcription Help & Some Advice/thoughts - Manley London
« on: Friday 30 January 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I hope i am posting in the correct place.

I am looking for information for Edward Manley born Dec 6th 1805.

I would order a birth certificate but I can't find a record, but what I have found is a baptism record.

I have attached the record.

The names of his parents has been transcribed as Hannah Manley and Thomas Wheeler. Looking at members trees they have all added this information but the trail ends there.

My question is this... if you place your finger over what looks like a 'W' for wheeler I think it actually looks like Manley (which would make more sense) Please see attached. (front cover says Smalley!)

I then found another record for Edward Manley baptism - mother Hannah Manley, father Edward Manley borrn 6th NOV 1805 - baptism Sep 1809

So now I'm confused... the majority seem to record Thomas Wheeler but the Edward Manley makes more sense - seeing as this name gets passed down the generations.

There are Micro Fiche numbers and LMA references but I'm not sure if these will say the same information.

So I would welcome any thoughts on this and how I could clarify the situation.

Many thanks in advance

Michelle

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription Help & Some Advice/thoughts - Manley London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Civil Registration, and the advent of Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates only started on 1st July 1837.

So, you will not find a birth certificate for your chap?

Also, I'm not sure you are allowed to post pages from a commercial website here?
Doesn't that break their Terms & Conditions, and has copyright implications?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
The topic has been moved to London & Middlesex but as KGarrad points out full page postings of copyrighted images are not allowed.

Those with the correct subscriptions will know where to look for these documents and will most probably come back soon with their intepretations.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Those with the correct subscriptions will know where to look for these documents and will most probably come back soon with their intepretations.

I have done just that  :)

The names of his parents has been transcribed as Hannah Manley and Thomas Wheeler. Looking at members trees they have all added this information but the trail ends there.

My question is this... if you place your finger over what looks like a 'W' for wheeler I think it actually looks like Manley (which would make more sense)

I read that entry as Edward B[ase] B[orn] S[on] of Hannah Marley Manley & Thomas Wheeler
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mhearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry.!.i didn't realise that  :o

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you for the birth certificate info.!! I can see a microfilm reference - I have looked at the LMA website but can't work out what to do. I think I need to look up a step by step guide.!   :-\

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The Ancestry image is from the bishop's transcripts, held at LMA. The original parish registers are at Westminster Archives. I would interpret the entry in the parish register as ...

Dec. 26th Edward, B(ase) B(orn) Son of Hannah Manley & Thomas Wheeler (born) 6 Nov.

(definitely Manley, rather than Marley)

Offline mhearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bookbox.!

When you say you read the parish register what do you mean? (I am a member of ancestry & trying to find my way round it) I'm sorry if I sound thick.! I looked up Westminster archives but it doesn't make any sense to me at all. Novice certainly applies to me.! If there is somewhere to read up how to do this then please do direct me as I don't want to waste anyone's time x

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
You're not wasting anyone's time.  :)

The entry in the parish register can be seen on Find My Past, another pay/subscription site. Find My Past is in the process of digitising the records held at Westminster Archives.

Ancestry's contract is with LMA, which hold the bishop's transcripts (copies of the register) for this parish.

As mentioned above, there is no formal birth record. At this date we have to make do with baptism records such as these -- if we can find them.  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
(definitely Manley, rather than Marley)

I really don't know why I put Marley, it's quite clearly Manley. Thank you for putting me right  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk