Author Topic: Jane Davis of West Hendred  (Read 6668 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Davis of West Hendred
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 February 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
If we look at Clara Davis of Faringdon, the 1841 census has two - one born abt 1826, father unreadable, mother Jane and the other Clara is a couple of years younger with Abraham and Susannah (assume parents).
Can't find either Clara in 1851, but there is a marriage for a Clara Davis Faringdon district Q4 1848
possible grooms
William Collett, Francis Kinch, William Panting or Thomas Stratton.
1851 census has William Panting and wife Clara of correct age with children Martha Ann 1 and William Henry 8 months all born Faringdon. No sign of Jane with them, but Joseph and Jane, Clara's parents have Jane age 8 grandaughter living with them. So at least we have the trail of the Jane Davis bapt Faringdon up to 1851. The question is can she be found in 1861??

Added
To tie up a loose end, the second Clara Davis is an unmarried servant in London in 1851, so Jane's mother definitely the daughter of the one who married William Panting
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 16:54 GMT (UK) »
May be coincidence but there's an 18 year old Jane Panting born Faringdon, servant in Bampton in 1861, no sign of a Jane Panting b Faringdon in 1851, so could be Jane Davis assuming stepfather's surname.
Also no sign of a jane Panting on 1871 census and no marriage for a likely Jane Panting between 1861 and 1871. (The Jane Panting who married Benjamin Lewendon in Bradfield RD Q1 1871 was born 1848 Thatcham)
So it is looking like a possibility that she may be the same Jane who married Joseph Castle and claimed she was born West Hendred or Wantage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline townsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Well.........it seems as if you've found my Jane Davis for me...........thank you so much.

I agree that Jane was the illegitimate daughter of Clara Davis, and was also the granddaughter of Joseph Davis and Jane (possibly Jennings).

I've found Jane in the 1861 census.......a servant at a school in Sutton Courtney.

Clara married William Panting.  So now I have to start researching Joseph and Jane and see what I can come up with for them.

Once again thank you for your help,  sometimes one just needs a nudge from someone else just to be pushed in the right direction!!    :-* :-*

Regards  Townsie

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Townsie,

There are a lot of "Davis" families in & around Faringdon.
I have found a marriage;
17-1-1811 Joseph Davis, Lt.Coxwell, itp to
                Jane Jennings, otsp, By Licence
wits; Lovedon Heath, D.Heath

and this baptism;
28-5-1790 Joseph Davis s/o Joseph & Mary

and this marriage;
12-8-1778 Joseph Davis, otp to
                Mary Walker(x), otp
wits; Randel Cadels, William Martin.

The Oxfordshire FHS have issued a series of  CDs that covers Faringdon and a few neighbouring parishes
which may be benficial to your searches especially this one;  OXF-FAR03 parish registers and is available here;
http://www.ofhs.org.uk/CDsales.html

Disclaimer - not associated with the OFHS just a customer.

May I suggest you start a fresh thread if you wish to continue with further searches.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline townsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks Alan.