Author Topic: Gibbet Gate, Bilston  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Gibbet Gate, Bilston
« on: Friday 30 January 15 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find information about Gibbet Gate, Bilston, ie where it was. I've got info about a family member who, according to the 1861 census, lived on "Wolverhampton Road by Gibbet Gate." Does anyone have any idea where on Wolverhampton Rd this gruesomely named place was? Any help would be gratefully received.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbet Gate, Bilston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks chempat. I suppose one has to be thankful that things like this don't happen anymore!--

"It should be noted that the presence of a gibbet is not evidence of sentences being executed and criminals hanged in Bilston.  It was only after you had been hanged (probably in Stafford) that your body was hung, in a metal cage, upon a gibbet, preferably near to where you came from or committed the foul deed."

It's enough to put you off your fish and chips!! :o

Sadly, the article doesn't give the location of said gibbet.  :-\
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Just come across information that gives the position as near Ward St and Wolverhampton Road junction. It seems that Ward St was formerley known as Gibbet Lane so I'm assuming that the gibbet stood on, or near, that junction.
Apologies if anyone has gone to any trouble searching.

Tony

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:04 GMT (UK) »
That location fits with another bit of evidence, too.  The "Gate" implies a toll gate on a turnpike road.  The Ordnance Survey 1st Edition, published 1834, marks "TG" in the north east quadrant of what is now the crossroads at Ward Street, Bilston Road / Wellington Road and Stowheath Lane.

Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I drove through that junction only yesterday, totally unaware of the gruesome things that went on there in times gone by.  Very interesting.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Also strange that I married a girl from just around the corner from Ward Street and that we did, just after our marriage, consider buying a house in Ward Street!  :o

Tony

Offline Gary Barnett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I know there was a knacker’s yard near the Gibbet Toll Gate. One of my ancestors worked there and lived in Gibbett Lane in the 1850s.