Author Topic: Witnesses to marriage of John Weatherley and Mary Pearce COMPLETED  (Read 2274 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Witnesses to marriage of John Weatherley and Mary Pearce COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 31 January 15 08:36 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though John Weatherley and Mary Pearce who were married at Hanwell on 21 January 1822 are my great x4 grandparents, and then went on to spend their lives in Hillingdon (in the 1841 census they were living "In a Camp in the Lane" with their 10 children, but they subsequently found more solid accommodation and my widowed great x4 grandmother ended her days in the Uxbridge Almshouses).

It also looks as though Mary may well have been the Mary Pearce, daughter of Jacob & Elizabeth, who was baptized in Ealing on 13 February 1803.

If anyone can do a lookup on that 1822 marriage and give the names of the witnesses (hopefully they will include Jacob or Elizabeth Pearce), whether John and Mary signed the register or made their marks (I am not expecting them to be literate) and let me know if there is anything else in the marriage register record which might be of interest I should be most grateful :)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Witnesses to marriage of John Weatherley and Mary Pearce
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Burton (Parish Clerk)  & Mary Turner

The bride & groom signed (x)    He was a bachelor she a spinster  both of the parish

A Mary Turner witnessed another marriage on the page (11 February) and on the page before  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
If you're looking for a marriage between Jacob & Elizabeth at St Mary Ealing, be aware there's a gap on Ancestry in the late 1790s. They're available at LMA though

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both of you.

So the witnesses are not family; the fact that they both made their marks is what I was expecting, however.

Steve - yes, I had noticed that the record set on FindMyPast begins at 1797, so I wondered if there was a gap in the digital searchable records. Many thanks for the gen that they are available at LMA. I have a LMA card, but it's a while since I've been there. I have one or two things to check or re-check, though, so I feel another visit coming on ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 15 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I took a few photos the other day, might strike lucky.

Intrigued by your surnames list as I have a few in common - especially King-Spooner as I'm a product of both. Not doubles barrelled though.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Steve -

I think they were just plain Spooners; one of them began giving all his children King as a middle (or final middle) name; and after that they became King Spooner or King-Spooner.

My Great Great grandfather was Thomas King Spooner of Stepney. In 1901 he was a Scavenger, and in 1911 he was a Public Convenience Attendant (such a classy family I come from ...)

His daughter Kathleen Honora King Spooner was my great grandmother.

If this looks like it could link in with your family lines, PM me with your e-mail address, and I will happily compare notes with you. It is not an easy line to puzzle out, and I am far from certain I have got it right. I am about to start investing heavily in certificates to prove (or disprove) what I currently have. If somebody else has already spent the money and knows the answers, I'd welcome the opportunity to save a bit of expense!!

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Witnesses to marriage of John Weatherley and Mary Pearce COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looks like the connection's a red herring - my Spooners at that time were bootmakers, butchers & carpenters around Bromley (earlier in Upminster) and the Kings are from Hayes, Middx, Hillingdon, Ealing etc.

I do have an Eliza Pearce (b Ealing 1814) to Richard & Mary but only because she married into my lot. Also half a dozen Weatherley cousins from Cowley / Yiewsley (earliest is Henry Charles b Hillingdon 1872)

Add to that a few Gladmans, a ton of Fosters, some Wrights, I'm sure we'll meet somewhere  :)

Looked at the photos I took at LMA, nothing obvious. Might be there again on the 14th. Depending on how busy it is, I'll try and have another look