Author Topic: Eavon as a village/town - is this the same as Avon?  (Read 6623 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Eavon as a village/town - is this the same as Avon?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit too far away also, I live in Spain.   I used to live in Corsham and Melksham and often visited Trowbridge and then Chippenham.   I'm of the opinion that Thomas moved to the Christian Malford area and that the Rylees were already in the area.   Both documents give an account of 2 sisters' marriages around Christian Malford.   The OPC gives some burials relating to the Charlcutt meeting house and I know that there was a strong Quaker presence in north Wiltshire.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline smh2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Records of Quaker births were published in a series of volumes of "Wiltshire Notes and Queries".

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I've looked up Charlcutt Quakers but nearest meeting house seems to be Devizes. I lived between Melksham and Bath 8 years ago for 3 and a half years Dave. A period I would rather forget. 

Added: These events appear to be on Ancestry under Quakers. I don't belong so could only see basic search results.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
That's the nearest modern Meeting House.   28 years in Corsham and 10 enjoyable years in Melksham.   Now I've decided to swop the Avon for the Med.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Corsham is indeed a very pleasant town.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 February 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the very interesting discussion smh2 [did find that book and it was very helpful],  Dave and Regorian.

I appreciated the geographical discussion also Regorian especially as I live in Australia. :)

I will follow on as you suggest.

Westy11