Author Topic: Help in dating a Victorian photograph of Ann Susan Collins nee Petty (1829-1864)  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hello all :)

I have in my possession a digital copy of an original that I am unable to access. The person in question is thought to be my 2x great grandmother Ann Susan Collins nee Petty (1829-1864). I managed to find the following regarding the photographer:

Miller, Joseph
Born 1842. Died 1923.
Biography
Miller, Joseph
Born in Wimborne, Dorset 1842.
Md Sophia (1850 - 1933).
STUDIOS: 1. 45 High Street, Camden Town, St Pancras 1881 - 1892.
2. 38 Brecknock Road, Camden Town, St Pancras 1892 - 1894. Successors to George Jennings; succeeded by Chatham Pexton.
1881: tobacconist living at 45 High Street, Camden Town, St Pancras.
1891: photographer living as above.
1901: photographer living at 19 Brecknock Road, St Pancras.
Died in St Pancras 1923.
Occupations
Photographer [list all] 1881
Tobacconist [list all] 1881

Source: http://www.photolondon.org.uk/pages/details.asp?pid=5344

I am hoping the photo is Ann Susan circa 1862 and not a later 1880s photo of my great grandmother, Caroline Neale Harris nee Collins (1860-1921)

To my untrained eye the fashions seem to point to circa 1862 but thought I would submit it to a wider and more knowledgeable audience here.

Of  note: Ann Susan Collins was not particularly wealthy so a trip to London from Banbury, Oxfordshire may have been prohibitive. Daughter Caroline resided in Hampstead, London in 1881.

Opinions are gratefully welcomed :)

[/list][/list]
Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Help in dating a Victorian photograph
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Well have you found Joseph miller on the 1861 and 1871 census. If he was born 1842  and your 2x Granny died 1864 age 35, he would be 19 in 1861 or younger which seem unlikely he learned his trade and set up a studio at that age. The photo seems much later than 1864 if the lady died that year and that lady in the photo look older than 35 years old
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Help in dating a Victorian photograph
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 00:49 GMT (UK) »
The style of dress is early 1860s, but can't actually see much because the bodice and sleeves are covered by the shawl. However, this is a later reprint, made after 1875.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help in dating a Victorian photograph of Ann Susan Collins nee Petty (1829-1864)
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both :)

I agree the photo is from the 1880s-90s. I just had a hard time reconciling the clothing which appears to be 20 years out of style.

Rachel

Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott